Parents just don't understand...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jiant., Feb 12, 2005.

1. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Yeah, the Will Smith throwback, that's right. Anyway, I was searching eBay for awhile just checking out basses when I found this baby. I really like the look of this body, and despite all the bad stuff I hear, I've always wanted a Grabber. I'm turning 18 in April, and talked to my mom about maybe getting me this and nothing else. She just talked about how rediculous $200 is for a bass, especially one that is so old. She told me that she bet nobody had bid on it and when I showed her it had some bids she just commented on how stupid people are. She's always been against me playing music, she just thinks that it's a waste of time. Luckily my dad is a little more supportive and he actually did pay for the last cabinet I got, even though my mom was against it. Other than that one thing, I've paid for all the gear that I own and the only reason I was even asking them to help is that I just spent money on a Sabine RT-7000(thanks Andy) and some other stuff. Oh well, there is my rant. Just out of curiosity, has anybody ever seen a Grabber with that style body? I never have and that's what caught my attention the most.
  2. gapupten

Dec 29, 2004
    Look at other posts here for this particular bass on ebay.
    Stay away
  3. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'm with mom on this one. Get a real bass.
  5. yeah, that exact same grabber has been discussed, and the majority of the people said stay away. waxcomb said it best...get a grabber that hasn't been hacked up!
  6. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    Haha, if only she was all for me getting a bass at all. I shall stay away from this bass, but what do you guys think of the Gibson "Artist Series" basses? They have 2 humbuckers, the neck side humbucker is at a slight angle.
  7. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Hmm wow that must really suck to have parents that dont support ya! My father played jazz guitar and started me out on bass at a very early age so i have always had the support that i needed! But i will tell ya a little story that a student of mine did! He said his parents wouldnt buy him a bass because they thought he would spend too much time playing it and not keeping up his grades. I guess this went on for a couple years were he would always ask for one and never get. So he decided to start flunking some of his classes till he got a bass. I always felt so bad for this kid because he mowed lawns to come to my lessons and had to play one of my basses. You need to tell youre mom that music helps all other forms of learning. Anyways the kid got his bass because he made a deal that his grades would go up if they bought him a bass. I was in shock that it worked. My father would have boiled me alive if i tried that crap with him. I guess i was just lucky.
  8. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    My parents don't support me any more.
    But maybe that's because I'm 46.
  9. Suckbird

Suckbird Banned

May 4, 2004
    Bah, my parents support me but i havet to buy everything myself.

Still they do like that i play instrument...
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products

Ok, well not exactly. I'm only 40. Either way my parents don't care if I play music or not.

Not to spoil your teenage angst or anything, but I'm sure there is a reason behind your mom's thoughts. Believe it or not, parents actually do know something and have lived through similar things in their own lives. Of course, you will ignore everything I am saying as well because you are 18 and that is the nature of being 18. Clearly, adults have no idea what you are going through and can't possibly understand you. I know this because I believed it when I was 18, but now know that I was wrong.
  11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Ummmm no i disagree! I dont think parents should keep there kids from playing music! I think its crazy to do that. Music really does help other forms of learning. Also helps with personality.
  12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My parents didnt support me at first; they were quite against me getting a bass.
    "So if you get it and don't like it, it's a lot of money wasted!"
    "Learn, it is much more important!"
    and others like this.
    So in the end from the pocket money and all the lunch-money (I dind't eat lunch at shool to get the money together) I bought my first bass. And half a year, later my amp.

A few years later they realized that I really liked playing and had no plans to quit, and that my grades got better and I could concentrate better, so they started supporting me with things like: pocket-money raise, more ways to get money, etc. I got a better amp, and later I got my first decent bass. And other things, too.

What did I learn from this?
    To save up for things that are important to me, and not to spend on things that are not as important to me (stylish clothing, trendy gadgets, soda, candy, etc.)

And now back to topic: I think Gibson's products suck big time. You can get better instruments for the money.
  13. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I'm not one of those kinds of kids who believe that adults have no idea of what is going on, and that I am alone all knowing. Although you don't know me, so it's understandable that you assumed as much. The only reason I think this is so stupid is that she gives no real reason as to why she doesn't want to support me in playing music at all, except that she thinks it's very dumb and a big waste of time. To me these are not solid reasons.
  14. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Tell ya what to do! Go get some pots and pans and a couple large trash cans! Then pop in a group like slayer and try to pic the stuff out on drums! Then after her head comes off and fire shoots out of her eyes tell her that you could get a set up cheap for bass that you could use headphones! LOL
  15. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    But that's what wives/husbands/fiancées/significant others are for! ;)
  16. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Yeah my wife supports me in my music but i just wish she would leave my dang fruity pebbels alone! :eyebrow:
  17. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Or tell her that you have decided to not play the bass and you want to take up bieng a groupie! Or hey maybe a sound man! Tell her you want to be a sound man so she needs you to pic up a 24 channel board,2 large bose mains, 3 bose monitors, and a few nice mics! Eww dont forget lights and stands,fog machines
  18. Im 16 and my parents dont take that much interest. They think im stupid for spending so much on bass gear. When i mentioned importing one from the states they hit the roof. They always tell me to focus on doing somthing else than and that bass is a dead end. They just dont understand.
  19. For me, my parents financial support was paying for lessons. I purchased all of my gear with my money, but I am happy that they supported me by paying for lessons. When I first started when I was 16 they didn't really like the idea, they assumed bass wasn't an instrument worth focussing on, so they got me started on acoustic guitar. Keep in mind my parents, and pretty much my whole family for that matter have no knowledge of music. We have a couple artists, but no musicians. After my dad saw me play live for the first time, they totally encouraged and morally supported me to keep playing bass, and focus on what I want. So I guess it worked out on the long run, just had to prove it was something I would take seriously and work hard at.

They still think I am nuts for spending how much I have on gear, but they don't understand that quality equipment can make a big difference in your tone, and survivability of your gear. Heh, and all I have is a stingray, a yorkville xs400h and xc410, and a peavey foundation. Its not like I have a demeter superstack and a fodera and an alembic!
  20. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Man is this a problem with alot of people? I guess i have just never really thought about it. Maybe you guys should talk them into learning a instrument! Sounds like they have no likes for music or somthing! :mad: