parent's old cds

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassandlax, Mar 11, 2002.

1. bassandlax

Dec 31, 2001
    Raleigh, NC
    I never realized that my parents had good musical taste until today. My dad likes the music I listen to, but i always thought he was just being nice and not telling me he thought it was crap. But I went up into the attic today and was looking through some old albums and cds that my parents used to listen to. There was some great stuff up there. George Benson and Earl Klugh "Collaboration", Stevie Wonder "Songs in the Key of Life", Yes "Fragile", The Eagles "Hotel California", George Clinton and the Parliment "vs. Placebo Syndrom", George Benson "Body Talk"... man they listened to some good stuff. Any of your parents have great taste? (i didnt know mine did till today :rolleyes: )

2. yeah, I've noticed that too, I found a few of my parent's old music and there was stuff like Sting, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Queen, and stuff like that, which I like. ...(but they don't like other music I like, 4xample KoRn, NOFX, TOOL, Blind Guardian and stuff like that) (well i suppose it's understandable) but they do also like R.H.C.P, Nirvana, and Staind and Janis Joplin (but certanly not Marilyn Manson or SlipKnot):rolleyes:

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm having a hard time with the concept of a CD being old!

Damn, I'm starting to feel ancient...
  4. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Me too.
  5. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Me too! I remember when record stores were full of ...well, records!
  6. My love of music came from my mom and dad's record collection when I was a kid. From the age of 3 (when I learned how to operate the record player), I remember listening to everything from Glenn Miller's big band to The Beatles to Neil Diamond to Frank Sinatra, or whatever else was laying around. Tons of records. Damn shame most of them were destroyed when a pipe burst in their house years ago.

(CD's in the attic? Just how old am I?)
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Along with the usual Stones, Beatles, Pink Floyd type stuff, my dad listened to Kraftwerk and Nick Drake. He was into Pink Moon before the Volkswagen ad!
  8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My dad, while we don't see eye to eye, has good taste. CCR, Zepplin, Classic Rock, some good counrty, and others. Not bad at all, but then again he WAS a hippy :D
  9. Nice thread, I swear a clump of hair yes fell out from reading it.
  10. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Me three.

Dang, when I went through my mother's record collection, All she had was Nat King Cole, Neil Sedaka and Paul Anka records...

I liked the Neil Sedaka lp. As a matter of fact, I have it on cd!:D
  11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My Mom loves GWAR!

(Not really, but I had to fit GWAR in this post somehow. ;) )

Actually, my Mom likes all kinds of music, from all different artists. It's more likely that she likes my music more than I like hers. Knowuddamean?
  12. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Me Four... My parents record collection includes Babs, and Andy Williams. Although my parents do like Tony Bennett and Frank Sinatra, some pretty timeless stuff IMO.
  13. Geez, my parents have old records, and I'm only 19, so I shouldn't be feeling old yet. My dad has CD's too, but none of them are more than 10 years old. He's got some pretty cool stuff too, lots of The Beatles, The Eagles, Neil Young, and some other stuff. We like a lot of the same stuff, we both bring CD's for the commute to work, he really liked my Barenaked Ladies - Gordon CD, he actually thought they were some kind of novelty band before he heard it. That CD rules.
  14. My dad is a huge jazz fan...i'm really glad...i have over 300 albums/cd's in my basement, all jazz :D
  15. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    My dad has great taste in music. And I owe most of my taste to him.
    My first concert was the Eagles Hell Freezes Over tour. I was in third grade at the time. We had great seats. Fifth row, dead center at Shoreline.
    He also took me to see Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young a few years back. Then, we went to see DMB at Pac Bell last year. And this July we're seeing The Who at Shoreline as a sort of "family event".

Edit: Post 200!!! Woo-hoo!
  16. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Me five.

Mom and Dad had records consisting of Mac Davis, Johnny Cash, pre-Fever Bee Gees, Waylon, Willie, Merle and Rick Wakeman's Journey to the Center of the Earth.
  17. Parents OLD cd's?!!
    Anyway, I got all of my parents old vinyl LP's. Some really good stuff, from Beatles, Moody Blues, Elvis and Simon & Garfunkel to the Clash, Sex Pistols, Pink floyd and PIL. Pretty cool.
  18. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

man, am i old if youngins are going through their parent's CD collections.

i'm waiting for my daughter to start digging through my vinyl.

if anyone is interested, check out my LP collection:

hehe...not sure if she'll ever get on board with that stuff.

may have to will it to a local library or something.

19. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I like a lot of the stuff my dad listens to. He even has a record with a dave holland solo on it. :)

My mom is an other story. I really have no idea what she listens to. She'll like a CD for about two weeks and never listen to it again. She mainly listens to mainstream rock. I'm pretty sure she hates what i listen to. She'll usually say she likes it, but after a few drinks she hates it, and calls it crap. I listen to a wide variety of stuff (neo-classical, baroque, bird, Yes, parliament, return to forever...), and she hates all of it.
  20. My mum listens to Rod Stewart a lot, which I can't stand. My dad listens to a lot of folk rock, which is even worse, but I can forgive him because he has Cream's greatest hits, and I probably wouldn't have got into Cream and Hendrix and a lot of other great stuff from around that time if it wasn't for finding that CD lying around.