Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

parents taking away music?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cobrasneverdie, Mar 6, 2004.

1. well my parents are divorced i live with my mom. anyway my mom is trying to get me grounded from practice and get me out of the band. and she stole my bike (not your normal 100dollar wallmart bike. im talking a 1500 bmx bike.) anyway can she legally take my bike away if me and my dad payed for it? and what would you recomend to talk my mom out of "grounding" me for practice? oh yea. i dont do anything else but jam and ride my bike so this is realy important.

2. If your under 18 your screwed with the bike. Her house her rules. And no it isn't illegal at all... I actually think thats a dumb question because I'm sure you know the answer.

I suggest living with your father if he's more rational. You can probably get the judge to consider living with your other parent if your mother makes some big mistakes making her a danger to you.

3. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Just because you know the answer already doesn't make it a dumb question.

4. Why is it that she wants you out of the band? *this should be good*

5. Don't argue with me, I carried your damn baby for 9 months.

6. she doesnt want me to play in a band. like she wants me to play but she doesnt really support the band its weird. she bought a yorkville keyboard amp and a mic and thats what we are using right now. but she wants to take it back from our drummers house. and once its at my house it will basicly sit here at home not getting used.

and about living with my dad. he supports me with everything no matter what i do. but i only get to see him once a month for an hour undeer supervised visits. its a long story. but im not 16 yet and my social worker says i have to be 16 before i can go choose who i want to live with.

7. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    So what did you do that made her not want to let you play in the band?

8. get a D. and i dont even have a D anymore

9. For us idiots (and by "us" I mean me), what's a D?

10. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    A letter grade on the report card. It is between 60%-69%.

11. Melf

Melf

Mar 20, 2003
    Starkville, MS
    A "D" is a grade on a school report card. It usually means anywhere from a 60%-69% in a class, but some schools have higher standards.

EDIT: Doh Solidus beat me!

12. Ah that kind of D. Here it's 40%-54%.

That's pretty harsh dude, but that's parents for you, until we're old enough to feed ourselves, we're stuck with 'em. Then again, you're a kid, be rebellious. Leave your gear somewhere safe, tell her you lost it (she's not meant to believe you, but that's not the point, if she can't prove it, you're safe ;)) Then you can practise away whenever (I'm assuming you're allowed go out without having to tell your mum where you're going) That's what I'd do anyway. :)

13. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Doing well in school is more important than your garage band, dude; so I don't really feel much pity. I can make a suggestion, though: try to make some sort of deal with her that if you keep your grades up you can stay with the band and use the equipment.

She's probably waiting on your next grade sheet to come home to see if you're out of trouble yet.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    well if you don't have the D anymore, prove that to her

tell her that you will keep your grades up and if they slip, you will drop the band... i agree with EyesCream, school is way more important than a band, ( i know, i am 17, still in school and in a band)... and i would drop the band anyday if i thought my grades were slipping because of it...

as for mom, well... try to work something out.... maybe shes just worried about the gear... see if she will go for the idea of you using it for practice then bringing it home after each practice

15. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    you know, just maybe, she's really worried that the divorce is going to have really bad effects on you, and she might be just that little bit paranoid, especially since you got a D in one of your classes.

how about you work with her on proving that you are going to do what it takes to get decent grades, and no d's.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Grades first in our house as well.

I have been blessed with a son who gets good grades. However, he knows the minute he gets unacceptable grades: C or below.......no more drums.

-Mike

17. Solidus?

From RIOT Solidus?

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    At my high school a D was between 72% and 65%.

19. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    I think its wrong to take away your childs passion because they got a grade you feel unacdeptable. a D here is a 70-75.
    I got through high school with d's,not because i was unintelligent, but because i wasnt interested in doing homework or i was busy playing guitar with my headphones on. Its always been " As long as you pass, it doesnt matter" in my book. I guess passing isnt enough for some people.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope.

I choose not to "pass" through life, and I prefer that my children do not either. They will be encouraged to accel, and not accept just "passing" while they are living under my roof. Once they move on, they can choose to live how they please.

-Mike