1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Parents want to sell Slumdog Millionaire star

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by L-A, Apr 19, 2009.

1. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I don't really understand this. I am angry, but at a complete loss of cultural references to base my judgement on.

Followed here.

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    RayBanBluesBrothers.

How much for ze little girl?

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    It's not good, but in that part of the world, selling children, especially daughters, is a long established tradition among the poor. My only problem is the children were paid well, not millions, but thousands. The producers have also contributed $747,000 to fund for their education. I guess that is not enough for a father who wants a payday now.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Well.. If your whole family - and possibly most of your relatives, too - are living in a cardboard-shack slum, and suddenly you're offered a truckload of cash for one of your daughters.. I can't say I can blame the guy.

It's claimed that some family in Dubai wants to adopt her. I'm not sure, but I have a feeling it means a certain period of household labor for the girl, until she has paid for her freedom. However, even a life as a laborer in a upper-class arabic family is a lot more than she can expect from a life in slums. She might end up getting a better life, this way, not only for herself, but for a dozen of relatives, too.

6. i would treat this article with skepticism until it had been confirmed by other news sources which i haven't been able to find. i think this is one of those national enquirer type fabricated news sources .

7. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Your source is News of the World - total trash tabloid paper. Worse than the Daily Mail. I really wouldn't believe it until I saw it from a reliable source.

bc

8. When the film company offered them plane tickets and tickets to the awards ceremony they said they'd rather have the money.

Can't blame them really, if you are living in slums you would want a way out.

9. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    I'll keep that in mind.

Ah, that's possible. This is what I meant by my lack of references, I didn't consider it from this point of view.

10. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Its up on Yahoo too, FWIW.

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    Have they contacted Madonna or Rosie O'Donnell yet?? I'm sure they could get a bidding war going between those two, and get top dollar!

12. You have to believe it is credible. After all News of the World usually gets the first pics when aliens land on earth. I also think they got the first pic of the 2 headed monkey boy that proved his existence.

13. Bathead

Bathead

Mar 14, 2008
    Not a surprise at all.

14. the news is real. its in the most credible news papers on the front page here in India. this was a STING OPERATION conducted by a UK newspaper (news of the world). As a journalism student myself i know how sting operations can be manipulated but anyway this could be real, infact poor families do sell of their children in rural areas, but anyway this is shameful :atoz:

edit: honestly, i cant say really. the media, in my opinion, can twist a lot of things. i remember reading a few months or weeks back that this same girl was getting more movie roles and stuff so that certainly means the family was not going to be doing too bad to sell her but man you never know.... this is sad

15. Gopherbassist

Gopherbassist

Jan 19, 2008
    What is Slumdog Millionaire?

16. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'll take "movies that have been all over the media for months now, such that you'd have to be living in a cave in order not to know about it" for a thousand, Alex.

17. yeah i found that article as well but if you read the article from the 19th it it says " as reported by news of the world " so yahoo was not verifying it's authenticity. as of this morning, 21 april, yahoo is reporting that the indian government is investigating. the father has held he is innocent of trying to sell his daughter ( i would not be surprised if he did try given the profound depths of the poverty ) but up to this point the story has not been verifed by any reputable news source.

18. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    I was hoping it was Frida Pinto, I would be willing to go into serious debt to bid for her.:D

19. yep i dont think anyone besides news of the world has claimed this as news. All the Indian newspapers too put it the same say saying "according to UK based newspaper news of the world... so on" its just an allegation still anyway