1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parents would you object to you child marrying at age 18 ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Aug 7, 2007.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Parents would you object to you child marrying at age 18?

2. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Unless I like the person yes, I would object. There are so many things that come along with married life if they were still planning on attending college that would interfere with it.

Also it would depend on the maturity level. Like a good Scotch, some 18 year olds are more refined than others.

3. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Yes! I don't think that they can handle marriage.

4. Alexander

Alexander

Aug 13, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    Considering I married my wife when I was 19 (she was 21), then yes - for me not to would be a double standard.

5. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    My wife and I were engaged at 19 and 20. Before I asked her, I sat down with her dad and my dad and asked their opinions. To my surprise, they both said they were shocked it didn't happen the day I turned 18.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    I'm not a parent yet, but hell yeah, I'd object.

7. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

How does it matter if you object ?
    If they want to get married they will, regardless of your opinion.
    You could always tell them that you think it's a bad idea but that's about it.

8. If your daughter is totally hot, cool, smart, and 18, no problem. I'll marry her.

:bag:

9. My Daughter is 15 and she better not even bring up the subject until she's 25!!! :help:

10. um you might want to reword that...... sounds a bit incestuous

11. i would say no pics no daughter but i respect you

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    To answer the question, yes, I would object. Unless you are a rare person, you are in no way ready to make that decesion. You have not had enough "life experience" to make that kind of decesion. Of course, my opinion may mean nothing to her if her mind is set. That's a whole other thread.

I've said it before. It's not only young people that jump into marriage. Many people of all ages do it. People don't realize the work and commitment that it takes. Commitment, responsibility and consequences more of a 4 letter word than any other these days.

13. Oops....thank goodness I don't have one. But you know.....

;)

14. I'm not a huge fan of marriage. Cohabitation, yes.

I think you should wait until you are 30ish...just a brash generalization.

15. eedre

eedre

Feb 26, 2007
    St. Louis,MO
    Yes.

I mean NO!

16. um I Will say no

then ill show the man law thread and the 89 rules of getting drunk thread to the Male in question

17. I'm 18 and that thought just freaks me out.

18. marcray

marcray

Nov 28, 2006
    Englishman in Oyster Bay, NY
    Aging Former Bass Player
    I'd object when my daughter is 28... I'm 38 now and such a different person then I was at either 18 or 28...

19. AdlerAugen

AdlerAugen

Aug 9, 2006
    yea...I wouldn't mind it but going to college...I think I'll wait until I have my bachelor's degree at least...maybe my masters too.

20. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    I had three friends that married at 18 or very close to it. All ended in disaster. Each one of them because of things that immature 18 year old types do. Unfortunately, 2 of the three had kids as well.

So, I would object. IMO, most 18 year olds are just too immature and generally naive about things in life.