Paris and London?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by thetaxmiser, May 13, 2004.

1. thetaxmiser

thetaxmiser Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2002
    Sonoma County, CA, USA
    All of France and nearby places, really.

I have the fine luck of being able to stay in a Paris apartment for free from 6/13 to 6/30. My wife, 2 kids (15 and 10), and myself are the complete newbies to Europe having never ventured outside the US borders. We have scheduled a couple of days in Bayeux but nothing beyond that. I believe we are staying in the 3rd or 4th district (near the opera house). Any tips from the locals?

We considered a couple of nights in London but the train + motel seems pricey. Travel agents want us to spend large dollars (or euros) to be trapped on the bus at the hands of a merciless tour guide, the guide books have too much info...I'm looking to the bass community for commen sense advice.

2. my wife spent a lot of time in paris, i'll have her give you some tips when she has a chance.

my tip: have fun, you're freaking lucky.
  3. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    If you're thinking of going to any museums, get there Early, lines get really long.

There are a bunch of American jazz musicians that live and perform in France. One my friends who lives in France got to speak and interview David Murray for one of her classes. It's an excellent oppurtunity to go see some great musicians.

There are not a lot of supermarkets in France, just be aware. Have fun roaming through the markets and various shops, it's half the joy of being there.

Kind of pedestrian stuff. But, yes, you are frickin' lucky.
  4. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I got to spend 3 days in Paris a few years ago on a gig, and my thoughts as I got on the plane home were "Damn, I don't want to leave, this was FUN!"

Enjoy yourself.
  5. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    One of my colleagues and I were in Paris for a few days last fall. We stayed in Bercy, which is in the 12th district.

One thing was certain: it was never difficult to find a good place to eat.
  6. Great places to get a real feel for Paris:

Jardin Luxembourg - Lots of real Parisians come and hang out here and just soak up the sun, chat, wander around. It's really cool. There's a cute boating pond where you can sail little wooden boats around. Cool for kids.

Pont des Arts (one along from Pont Neuf, pedestrian bridge) - If the weather is nice lots of folks come here and sit out and picnic in the evening. I thought this was really cool...

Musee D'Orsay - In my mind this is a nicer place than the Louvre. Has a fantastic impressionist painting section. Not as many artefacts as the Louvre though. It's also housed in an old railway station which gives it a nice feel.

Don't spend money on a touristy Bateau Mouche. Instead get the much cheaper Waterbus which runs along the Seine. You get the same view, but without the commentary. They have a little guidebook that tells you some features around each stop, so it's not completely unguided.

There's lots of nice bars and cafes in the Blvd. St. Michel and Blvd. St. Germain area.

Don't spend tonnes of cash on a tourist bus. Get a Metro pass and a half decent guidebook (Lonely Planet Paris cityguide or something like that) and just use the Metro to pop around the different places. There are Metro stops near most of the big sights.
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    There is a street in Paris that has about a dozen music stores on it. It's very close to the Moulin Rouge. My spelling is probably wrong: rue Douai ?

Definitely worth checking. Hoping someone from France steps in here.

Paris is a fine fine city.
  8. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    I've never been to Paris (or anywhere in France), but I am a seasoned European traveler, having been to most European countries from Ireland to Russia to Greece (and heading back this July :) )

Here's what I have picked up while there in past years on family vacations and "vagabonding" trips:

* See the sights as a local, try to avoid big tour companies.
    * Any attempt at communication is appreciated, even if you know next to none of the language.

You can't vagabond if you have a family with you, but that's my favorite way of traveling Europe. Very easy on the wallet. ;)

Europe is great. One of my favorite places in the world.
  9. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Forget London!
    It's just a grubby total rip-off!

Juan Hunose :bag:
  10. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    london is not the official centre of the universe for nothing!

it is grubby, and it is a rip-off, but it is more importantly fabulous and fantastic. oh, and i live there ;)

one word of advice thetaxmiser, if anyone asks, say you're canadian. trust me, it's the best thing to do ;)
  11. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    That means having to add " EH" at the end of every sentence.

If you really want to blend in, learn how to speak English as in:

" On your way down in the lift from the chemist, queue at the garage to get your torch from the boot of your lorry."

" On your way down in the elevator from the pharmacy, line up at the car park to get your flashlight out of the trunk of your truck."

Better yet, stick to the Canadian thing.
    :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
  12. since when did lorries have a boot?
    note the expression "fell off the back of a lorry"-
    if it had a boot things wouldn't fall off :p
  13. bmc

Nov 15, 2003

Hey turtle...cut me some slack. I'm from the colonies.
  14. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001've got "car park" and "garage" switched around. I think car park is British - it's not american. We have parking garages and parking lots here - no car parks.