1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Park?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by metdistortion, Apr 11, 2009.

1. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    Does anyone know anything about Park bass amps? Apparently they are owned by Marshall, but I don't know if they are still around.

Thanks in advance :)

2. Dont know if they are still around.

I had (have) a Park combo. 25 watts I think. It's trash :p

They were owned by Marshall and I'm pretty sure they aren't around anymore. I dont think they were anything special. Much like what squier is to fender (especially a few years back before squiers started getting a bit better)

3. AFAIK Park was the name Marshall put on their bass amps for a while (you'd never find a Park guitar amp). I don't think Park exists anymore, but I might be wrong.

I've played a couple of their small practice combos, pretty nice stuff if you ask me.

4. metdistortion

metdistortion

Aug 13, 2008
    England
    Do you think it would be worth getting a 50watt Park for £35? The seller claims it's a Park prototype.

5. 4-string

4-string

Jul 23, 2006
    Norway
    Actually, I used to own a Park guitar amp, a 15w and 1x8 combo. Entry level stuff for sure, but nice enough for what it was.

6. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I had a Park guitar amp way back in the day. I think it was a 10 watter with a 8" or 10" speaker. My friends and I called it the "Pork". I thought it was a great little practice amp. But yeah... I don't know if they sell them anymore. I actually gave mine to Goodwill a year ago since I no longer had any need for it.

7. Give me a moment to remove my foot from my mouth...sorry guys, my sources must be less reliable than I assumed. :ninja:

Anyway.

My brother has a 50w park combo...it performs more like a 30w combo, but it's a really nice sounding little amp, for 35, I'd definately go for it.

8. bwsailer79

bwsailer79

Aug 5, 2005
    Laurel, MD
    I was actually able to find an old picture of my old Porker. It's the smallest one in the photo that is sitting on top of the Multivox amp (which I think was actually a keyboard amp).

amps.

All I can really say about my particular Porker was that it was a great practice amp. However, taking it to rehearsals was pointless since there was no way that it could be heard above the drums and guitar amp.

It was my first amp ever. And it was sort of hard getting rid of it due to sentimental reason .http://www.talkbass.com/forum/images/smilies/mecry.gif.. but since I didn't need it and I had to get rid of some of the clutter that was starting to taking over my house. The Multivox (my first bass amp) is gone too now (I was never able to find any info on that amp, but I was always interested in its history). All I've got left in the picture is the Genz-Benz cabinet and the Hartke head, neither of which I ever use.

My amp of preference is the Ampeg BA-115. I just recently tried a Fender combo amp (don't know what model it was), and I was actually really impressed by it.

9. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Jim Marshall had a distribution deal with a company and needed a way around it. He started branding amps with the Park as a way to do that. In the beginning they were identical circuitry with Marshall amps. Unfortunately the brand like so many "purchased" brands did not live up to the original quality.

Paul

10. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    I just found a Park 25 watt bass combo in the trash. I replaced the fried 12" speaker with a Peavey Black Widow, and it sounds pretty awesome. I got it sitting on my workbench, I'll post a pic later.

11. Mr. Foxen

Mr. Foxen Commercial User

Jul 24, 2009
    Bristol, UK
    Amp tinkerer at Ampstack
    Some of the old Park stuff made in the restrictive distribution deal era is super desirable, but the crappy practice combos were sold in Argos. The valve stuff from the distro deal era is same quality as MArshall stuff of the era and sometimes has some other options not available on Marshall badged amps, but people buy Marshall for the Marshall badge, not for quality items.

12. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Holy Zombie rebirth!!! Six years later!!! :rollno:

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  13. lowendblues

lowendblues Supporting Member

Oct 8, 2004
    Ohio
    Yeah,, like I said, I found this amp and was looking for some info on it.

14. The "Park" name has been used and resurrected a few times by Jim Marshall.

15. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    As was touched on above, Park was Mr. Marshall's wifes maiden name. He produced some amps under that name to sell to a company that he couldn't sell Marshall amps to for contractural reasons. An end run if you will. These Park amps are rare and highly collectable. The Park brand was later used for mostly low end reissues.

16. Handyman

Handyman

Sep 4, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Maybe Park can resurrect Jim Marshall this time.

17. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    thats all we need, Marshal zombies ...

what, too soon ?:D

B-string likes this.