Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parker Bass - Anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by TrickDog, Oct 10, 2002.

1. TrickDog

TrickDog Gold Supporting Member

Jun 30, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Does anybody actually own one of these yet? Any opinions from somebody who has actually played one? As I'm getting older, lighter basses look better and better. -Thanks

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    If you mean the Fly Bass, they are supposed to be shipping this month-
    I asked the same ? about a month ago, got a lot of replies saying they were ugly- Me, I like 'em.
    Anyway, hope this saves you a lot of rhetoric!

3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I'm waiting to try one, too. I won't be happy until I have as many basses as Brad! (His are nicer than mine, though...)

4. I saw Aerosmith in Nashville just over a week ago. Tom Hamilton was playing his Parker Fly Bass and it sounded incredible.

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    It wouldn't be so ugly if it was (proportionately) more like the guitar version. When they put the pic of a prototype on the cover of BassPlayer (way back in '92) it looked like thats what it was going to be. This new, final version looks like its been eating too many marshmallows. Its ugly 'cause its way too wide/fat IMHO.

6. TrickDog

Jun 30, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Hmmmm... Tom Hamilton plays one? Interesting. I suppose he could afford any bass in the world and he chose the Parker. I can't help it, but they appeal to me. I have enough basses, at least my wife thinks so, but I might have to get 'just one more'.

Are there any 'non-famous' players that have played one? I can't find one in Houston to get my hands on.

Thanks for your replies.

7. TrickDog

Jun 30, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Bump!

8. [​IMG]

Too Many Marshmallows!!!

(my prediction: these won't be leaping off the shelves anytime soon...)

9. dmaki

dmaki

Apr 29, 2000
    Chattanooga
    I played a cool Parker guitar the other day... superlight, superthin... I think it was all graphite or something. Their guitars look cool, but that bass looks chode

10. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Looks WHAT??!

11. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    Looks like a pregnant Wishnevsky to me...eeew. And this from the guy who owns a Staccato (buttugly) and not one but TWO WestOne Rails.

12. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    In all likelihood, it has much more to do with the endosement deal he likely received than personal preference on his part.

13. Man, I have always thought that parker made some the ugliest guitars ever, but the bass is even uglier. Alot of people say they play really good and sound excellent, maybe its just me, but I don't think so. Then again, I'm old fashion when it comes to basses. I don't like basses that are made of graphite, look like space ships and have super-active pickups with built in preamps. A 75' jazz bass is about as good as it gets in my book.

14. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It looks a bit like the bass that Steve Swallow plays and maybe will sound similar - now that is an ugly bass!! ;)

[​IMG]

15. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Looks like the "bugs" from Starship Troopers.:p

16. Makes sense, since Swallow has the original Parker Fly bass--one of the initial prototypes of the original early 90's version, I believe.

Mike

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    I believe Steve's is actually even older than early 90s. He's been playing that bass a long time. I think he got it around the time of the first Parker guitars.

18. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like thin bodied basses. The production Parker looks pretty good to me, and a lot better than the proto Parker that Steve Swallow has.

Different strokes, I guess.

19. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not really that bothered about looks in basses - as long as it's not dayglo purple or something ;) - but I do know I really hate the sound of Steve Swallow's bass(es) which is what would worry me more about playing something like this.

20. [​IMG]

UGLY!!!
    Makes a nice can opener though.

Fling it around your back and you'll put your eye out.