Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parker bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Darrelpr, Feb 5, 2002.

1. Darrelpr

Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    http://www.parkerguitars.com/Press/bass.htm

Prior to ordering my Cirrus, I considered one of these but some reports I read from people attending NAMM were not very favorable - at least not for the price (around $3k if I remember correctly). I'd be interested if anyone else has had a chance to play one and if so, what did you think?

cheers,
    darrelpr

2. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i can only say what i see from the pic. that's an ugly bass!! really ugly!

3. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    gotta disagree on the ugly thing, but that's just a taste issue...

i think the Parker bass is a step in the right direction, but I'm not too sure about the electronics, having tried it out...

It may be worth contacting Parker, and finding out what alternatives there are electronics wise. For $3K, you can probably expect them to be pretty flexible... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The shape seems to work better with their guitars from the look of it.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I really like the shape on the 5 string. On the 4 it's kinda goofy, but I think the fiver looked really nice.

6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I can't wait to try one! I'm a big fan of the Fly g****r, and hope the bass has the same "mojo".

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I love the looks of the Fly guitars, but I think the new basses look pretty doofy. I like the old Steve Swallow prototype better - it was fairly radical but a more consistent design. They're probably very nice, but I couldn't see paying that much for one.

Is it just me, or are they not the same type of construction as the guitars? The website says maple top and back, mahogany neck. I think the composite half-shell construction of the Fly guitars is half the reason they are what they are.

Also - to me the 4 and 5 look almost identical? Equally doofy. :)

8. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Got a pic of the Swallow Proto, Geshel?

9. warwickbass

warwickbass

Dec 8, 2001
    Minnesota
    Dont know about the basses, but my friend is a massive shred progressive guitarist, ive heard him play threw some parkers ant they have awsome electronics and the crap they make those things out of (not wood) kick butt... so i would assume the basses cant be too bad.

10. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    [​IMG]

11. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Looks just like Parker's line of guitars.

12. EString

EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    Actually, it doesn't.

The guitars have a much better looking body.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    the guitar is an awesome design, this bass is a super deformed version of that great design. ther is no aural section, nor style in that for me. it sems to look the guitar with a distorting lens. the horns are too big and "open" the bass seems to be too huge and the overall look seems flat. to me this is one of the ugliest bass i have ever seen. but this means nothing, maybe the bass is a player! and don't tell that this desing is the same of the guitars, are you blind ?

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The Steve Swallow prototype is much more elegant looking with the new production model. Looks aren't everything, but for $3000+, they do play a part IMHO. You can get an ugly bass that plays and sounds great for under $1500 all day long.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Different strokes. I'm delighted to see the production bass looks nothing like the Swallow prototype!

16. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I like the released version. Looks like a Citron without the pointiness.

The knee-rest thing on the Swallow version gives me the willies.

17. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i have to say that the swallow prototype is pretty cool. it looks a lot like the parker fly bass we were promised in that old issue of bass player, like, in '93 or something. remember the cool white 5 string that graced the cover of bp all those years ago? ;) these production flies are pretty hairy looking...i don't dig them at all

18. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Neptoon, I was going through my Bass PLayer collection a couple of days back, and ran across that issue. Man, that white bass on the cover is awesome! Even prettier than Steve's natural prototype.

19. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was thinking the same thing....it doesn't have that large "protrusion" coming out of the bottom. are those the bass' genitals, or something? :eek: :D

20. I think the problem with the electronic has to do with how the thin the guitars and basses are. I know some people who owns the guitars didn't like the pick up so much and replacement is hard to find because the body requires a special or modified pick up.