Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parker Fly Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Feb 28, 2001.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I keep hearing rumors about the impending development and release of a Parker Fly bass. This would be a bad, bad thing for my budget, because it would make two Parkers I want. Every Fly (real Fly, not the NiteFly silliness) simply vibrates in my hands!

Anyone else heard anything?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I've only seen two of those on pictures. One was a six-string prototyp for Anthony Jackson (which he apparently never used) and another a fiver owned by Steve Swallow (I think)...

I'd like to see those on the market too, but I fear that they gonna fail to live up to expectations, like the PRS basses did...
    A lot of Guitar companies just don't have the knack for bass design/manufacturing IMO...

3. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ditto;)

4. Remember when BP broke with protocol and reviewed the prototype of the Parker Fly Bass.. in the 1992 Buyer's Guide issue?!!?! And the darn thing STILL hasn't come out yet.

5. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    But they have the potential for being sooooo nice....

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I agree, but i thought the same thing about those PRS bassed too..

7. ytsebri

ytsebri

Sep 1, 2000
    Dallas
    I agree, but if you remember the BP article correctly, the Fly was designed as a bass first. I think that the use of composite materials and the combo of piezo/magnetic pickups would shine on this bass.

8. bellx3

bellx3

Mar 2, 2001
    Edmond Oklahoma
    I contacted the people at the Parker website inquiring about the Parker Bass on the Bass Player cover in 1993. They said at this time there was no plan to produce them and the one for Steve Swallow was a one off prototype.

If you people want one, then flood their site with requests and maybe we will see and even play one someday

9. HeavyDuty

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Works for me...as a matter of fact, I emailed them the same time I started this thread. No response yet.

10. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I've got a combination of TMJ and congenital fusion of C1 and C2 vertebrae aggravated by having broken my jaw, cheek bone and cracked C3; in other words I need light bass guitars if I'm gonna stand. I bugged the hell outta Parker for over two years after that BP cover and several time since then including at last year's NAMM (they weren't at this year's) and I've come to the conclusion Parker will never go into the production of basses. At one point I offered to pay several times what a Parker guitar retails for and got no reply to that email.

Complaining of this to a longtime friend in the manufacturing biz I do a little work for at NAMM he said word on the guitars was that they are very "un-alive" feeling and that while a lot of guys bought them not a lot continued to use them for long and that slowly creeping disappointment was common. I'd still buy one just 'cause of the weight and the sound Swallow gets.

11. RETSAMPALS

RETSAMPALS

Sep 10, 2000
    that's the spirit! let's harrass them!
    hmm..parker fly...that would not be a very good-looking bass though...i dont' like the look of the PRS basses

12. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

Rob Allen? (~7 pounds ;) ) ==> http://www.roballenguitars.com

May be a step down from your Azolas though :p .

13. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I've always like the way a Fly looks. But sometimes a guitar dosen't look good as a bass. I remember seeing some Ibanez's. The RG, S & Iceman's. It didn't look good & they're were lower end models. If Parker is going to do it, they better do it RIGHT!!!

14. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    I agree with notduane -a rob allen is probably the lightest bass i have ever played..and its easily has the best feel (plays like butter) -i guess it depends on the sound you are looking for...

15. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    I was kind of a slug at NAMM this year and didn't check out a whole lot of stuff. Wish I'd talked to you guys before it so I would have had the Rob Allen on the list of stuff. Oh well, I'll keep my eyes open and maybe I'll run into one before next year's big shooow. Are they at all neck heavy? I've played some light but poorly balanced basses (the Godin is the primo example) that were comfortable to start but given a few minutes really started to drag on the ol' shoulder.

And how would you describe the RA's sound? I always hate it when someone asks me that so don't feel obligated.

Oh yeah, notduane, what didja mean a step down from the Azolas? RA's look really nice. What does one cost? I'm getting more interested the more I think about it.
    Oh nooooo..............
    Ah heck, what's another month of day jobbin' it to get another bass?

16. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    They're pretty well balanced. The neck can be almost
    anything you want. Mine's birdseye maple with a cocobolo board => buddah! :D
    There's a sound demo on the website - http://www.roballenguitars.com .
    Or, just click on my "homepage" :p .
    I dunno...those Azolas (Jazzman and Deco) always seemed kinda'
    high-end to me. The R/A's start at around $1750. Beware
    boutique shops jackin' up the price. A lot o' guys order from Rob
    directly (sooper-cool dude :) ).

17. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    Originally posted by notduane
    The R/A's start at around $1750. Beware
    boutique shops jackin' up the price. A lot o' guys order from Rob directly (sooper-cool dude :) ).

I think the Jazzman starts at $1700ish.
    Ok, the Deco was twice that and then some.
    But I HAD to have it.

I like everything I've heard about this guy and his basses and if he sells direct I wouldn't do it any other way. Thanks fer the info, I'll check out the sound file.

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Almost forgot j/b...bunnybass did an interview with Rob a while back.

Pics and a shop tour! [​IMG]

==> http://bunnybass.com/interview-allen.shtml

19. MarkW

MarkW

Oct 31, 2000
    Austin,Tx
    that Azola deco looks awesome..do you have problems with feedback with that arch top body?

20. Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
    Vancouver, BC
    It will feedback especially with the piezo PU. It's now got a Kent Armstrong magnetic PU in addition to the Piezo so for higher volumes I'll go with just the mag. You've still gotta be careful not to point the bass right at the amp when you're close but so far it's working really well. Both are mixed through a Raven Labs PMB preamp. To answer your question, no I don't have any problems.