1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parker fly bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric1312, Aug 1, 2007.

1. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Anyone have the parker fly bass, and can comment? I've only found one review here on TB.

2. No, but chances are, if not many people have it, it could be that it's just not that great comparing to the quality of the Parker Fly Mojos and their P-series guitars. But Parkers are really nice and light. I would try one out however.

3. Great basses!! ;)

4. I had one for a short time.

The good... VERY lightweight, incredible build quality and fit and finish, very unique... from the steel frets to the piezo/magnetic pickup blending, unusual headstock, graphite, neck, etc., etc.

The bad... very narrow string spacing on the 5 string, the piezo bridge pickup, while unique, is a sort of 'boom/click' control. On the guitars, the piezo results in a pretty convincing 'acoustic' sound. There is nothing acoustic sounding about the bass. The magnetic pickup only sound is just OK... kind of a modern J Bass tone.. similar IMO to those Modulus hybrid J's... neither 'fish nor fowl' to my ear. Finally, even though they are lighweight, the upper horn design can dig right into your chest if you wear your bass relatively high.

All in all, while cool looking and innovating, it is close to the top of my list of 'least favorite instruments' as far as gigging every night with it. IMO of course,

K

5. BigRedX

BigRedX

May 1, 2006
    The one I've played was one of the original models with the Carbon Fibre neck and fingerboard had one of the most comfortable and playable necks ever. However the body shape just doen't work when blown up to bass size and is so uncomfortable that it outweights the brilliant feel of the neck. I'd go further than the previous poster and say that the top of the body digs into you somewhere no matter how you wear this bass. Not good.

6. funkybassplayer

funkybassplayer Commercial User

Sep 16, 2003
    Longview, TX
    Nordstrand Audio, Epifani
    I used to work at one of the American Washburn/Parker/Randall/Eden retailers in Texas and i have mixed feelings about these basses. the PB-40 (low end) has an odd gummy feeling to the finish and one of the ugliest "burst" finishes i've seen. it came with some EMG HZ's in it and had a pretty decent tone. then i tried to play seated and got jabbed quite sharply in the chest by the upper horn. Strapped on this is a different story. the body is BIG and slightly contoured to fit the bass bellys of thumpers around the world. the PB-41's set neck slowly started to pull out of joint to the point that i could fit two business cards all the way into the neck pocket. after we sent that one back we got another one. this one was great.

the PB-51 and 61 are another bass animal. NECK THRU. MAHOGANEY BODY. FLAME or SPALTED TOP. same emg's but the exotic tops and the neck thru (big improvment over thier SN PB-41) really help these guys to sing.

FLY BASS 4 and 5 - A moment of silence for these guys...thats enough. these are some real work horses. laminate neck and body (acoustic top quality SITKA SPRUCE). dimarzio/Piezo pickups. Fishman preamp. DEEP POCKET set neck. Carbon glass composite fingerboard (the hardened stainles steel frets are sttached directly to the paper thin finerboard.

Man, i don't know what else to say about the basses. oh yeah they all use the Ibanez monorail style bridge and these basses are all pretty light.