Parker Fly Bass!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian Gordon, Mar 19, 2002.

1. April Bass Player mag, P.52...
    Check it out!
    The new Parker Fly Bass!

I'm very excited. I was excited when they put the prototype on the BP cover ten years ago. Now it's a reality. I've had the opportunity lately to play around with a fine collection of Parker guitars since I'm working at Guitar Center. Simply put, I _really_ like the way they play and sound. I can not wait to get my hands on one of these things and try it out. Having the piezo pickups running would be fantastic for bass. And knowing how well made their guitars are, I'm sure these new basses won't dissapoint. I'm sure it will be a while before we see any of these basses "on the street."

Check it out at .

2. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, sorry to ruin your element of surprise, but these have already been discussed here quite a bit.

I personally think they are ugly. The guitars look nice, different, but nice nonetheless. They didn't get it with basses, IMHO of course.;)
  3. Ewwww, it's wood! 10 years of development and it's just a hunk of wood? I expected a major technological advancement from Parker. Oh well.
  4. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Yeah, well I had the same high hopes for the PRS basses. Ain't heard no raves about them, for sure. The proof is in the punch ... or something like that.
  5. EString

Nov 20, 2000
    Los Altos, CA
    The proof is in the pudding.
  6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Generic active dano longhorn with a messed up top horn? :rolleyes:
  7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    That's what basslab is here for...:D
  8. Darrelpr

Feb 2, 2002
    Texas, USA
    Not meaning to pile on but with the exception of the shape and weight, the Fly looks like another case of "been there, done that." I don't see it comparing favorably with other high-tech basses such as Zon, Modulus, Status, etc. (And reviews I've read on this and other message boards from those who've actually played it at NAMM weren't exactly glowing either.)

but then again, I thought the '57 Chevy wouldn't sell either...

9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    I haven't really expected much from the parker bass.. I just don't see it being able to compete with other basses
  10. APRIL BP mag ?!?!??!

:eek: !!

dude.. i got my february edition only yesterday..
    blasted import magazines :( it takes ages for them to get here :(
  11. "The proof of the pudding is in the taste."
    The Bard
  12. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I had high hopes for it, too. But people who picked it up at the NAMM show were totally unimpressed. :rolleyes:
  13. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    OK, now I know why I don't like it:

The body looks too big and wide (maybe a 7/8 size would look better).
    The cutaway could be deeper, just one more bass that neglects people who actually play the 22th fret and over.
    The pickups don't fit the design, soapbars probably look better on it - or at least cover the polepieces.

YMMV, of course. It'll be way too expensive in Europe anyway...
  14. sfinlayson

Feb 15, 2002
    What people...?

I think they're GREAT basses... At this last NAMM show, there were LOTS of "Pro" players fawning all-over it... what were the complaints you heard...?
  15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

It's an old TB thread that appeared right after it came out. I suppose a keyword search could find it.

If I remember correctly, people had more of a "ho-hum, no big whoop" reaction rather than any digs at it.

I've never run into one.
  16. I had seen them already long time ago and think they look horrible as well.
  17. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Still waiting to see my first one...with an open mind!
  18. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    The new basses look VERY cheesey to me. Frankly, I've never been a fan of Parker's guitars because, as a guitar-playing friend of mine once put it, sure they're well-made and all, but they just sort of lack....soul. That's sort of the way I imagine the basses as well.

I haven't played one, so I can't honestly comment on the sound. It's just that Parker is a little too gimmicky and cheesey for my tastes. Perhaps if they had released this thing during the hair-metal heyday, it might have caught on. As it stands now, I don't imagine I'll see too many on stages near me.

Hell, I'd be afraid of being laughed at if I played one!
  19. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I don't think it looks any worse than Harvey Citron's basses. IMO, it's certainly more attractive than the Parker prototype Steve Swallow plays.
  20. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    these new ones are quite cheesy looking, imo. i have to agree with ed, though...the old prototypes were real lookers. the one paul nowinski had was really sweet, but it had an really long upper horn. nice bass...i'm pretty disappointed at what has finally come out complared to the old fly bass that graced the cover of bp all those years ago.