1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

(Parker) Fly me to the moon......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by MikeBass, Nov 28, 2006.

1. So, I work out a trade deal for a bass I was selling (details are not that important outside of if you ever need to deal with TB'r richnota, do so. A great guy and perfect to deal with).
    Anyway, in the deal I got his Parker Fly 4.
    Now, I've always had a distant attraction to them, but not enough to pull the trigger. Loved the look. Very hip IMO.

Then this deal comes up so I jump on it.
    It came today, shipped to my office.

Acousticly, it's freakin' sweet!!
    Can't wait to get it home and plug it in.

Talk about responsive. Whew!!

I hope that the finance situation works out so maybe I can hold on to it for a while.
    I'm gonna keep it through the holidays and what not.

But so far, unplugged, it plays great and sound nice too!!

Pics tonight if I get a chance.

DSC_0226.

DSC_0227.

DSC_0230.

2. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    cool...i remember when bass player mag reviewed steve swallow's prototype 10 or so years ago (longer than that, maybe?)...too bad that the fly basses didn't come out looking more like the prototype (moreso like the guitar, all carved and swoopy)...sweet bass, though...congrats!

3. Yeah, 14 years ago! The 1992 Buyer's Guide.
    Congrats on the acquisition, Mike. Sweet bass. I played one at Atlanta Bass Gallery, and it was a killer.

4. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    wow, was it that long ago?

5. Yo!

Here's the spec on the site:

Bridge: .670” string to string, Nut: .364” string to string

If I did my inches to MM conversion correct, that's .17 at the bridge (my PM was incorrect).

K

6. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Are the bodies hollow or chambered? Also, Mike - is it the natural with the quilt top that was for sale here?

7. I had one for a short time.... it's a unique design... it's some sort of very lightweight wood.. almost like 'balsa wood' (they call it 'Sitka Spruce' on the site) from the way it was described to me. It feels and sounds like it is hollow.. very resonant and very light. I ended up very much disliking the 5 string for a number of reasons, but the sure are unique and well made.

8. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Though I don't care for the way they look, I'd love to try one out. Who knows? It might win me over...

9. Nope.
    But exactly like it.

Bodies are solid. Made from 12 layers of sitka spruce (the same wood that acoustic guitars are made from I guess) and squashed under a 50 ton press with epoxy and stuff.

10. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    wow, cool...just like the nose cap on a TRIDENT II D-5 missile (really, no crap)

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I can't wait to see these basses, I dig them! I wish they would release a version with a smaller body, you know how I love my small bodied basses!

12. Awesome basses for sure!! :)

13. LaMarquis J

LaMarquis J

Jan 27, 2006
    I played one at the atlanta bass gallery that came to the store as a used demo. I think it was used at the NAMM show. It had seen better days and did not sound well IMO. A new one with new strings and a better setup prolly sounds alot better. The look of it tried to grow on me but I would have much rather preferred the smaller body shaped more like the original guitar.

14. -Sam-

-Sam-

Oct 5, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    I cant believe im the first to say it. The Rule. I think everyone knows it

15. Yeah yeah yeah, I know.
    Give me till tomorrow so I can charge the camera.

But this should tide you guys over for now:

parkerbass.

Thats my Parker, but not my Rob Allen/Berg/AI rig, it's Rich's.

16. So, I used it tonight at rehearsal with the urban groove/R&B/acid jazz group (click the Chrystal Groove myspace link- that band).

This bass sounded a ton better than I thought it would.
    It flat out rocked!!
    Everyone commented how good it sounded.
    Clean and clear.
    (Rig was a Thunderfunk 550 into a AccuGroove Tri-112, Demeter Compulator pedal on front end)

Who ever thought they were thin sounding must have been doing something WAY wrong.

Man, I hope things work out so I can hang on to this bass!!
    It's a lot of fun!!

It has a real modern Jazz tone-almost as if a MTD did a Jazz.
    And the piezo's are the best sounding ones I ever heard on a fretted bass.

Now the bad stuff.
    Center detents. Or lack there-of.
    What the fu@k was Parker thinking when they designed this bass.
    Put a goddamn pots with center detents on the magnetic pick-up pan and the bass & treble boost/cut.
    They put a center detent on the piezo tone pot, why the hell not the rest!!?!?!??!??

I already contacted a local repair guy to have the pots replaced.
    They are conected to a circut board, but he told me he would re-mount the boards and put flying leads to the contact points.

I'll post more tomorrow. As I'm sure KJung will as well (we're meeting at LDS tomorrow to give it a go).
    It's getting a tad late.

17. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    Cape Canaveral, FL
    this thread got me thinking a little and i checked the parker site...they've got a full custom shop now, and i'm wondering if they'll do a bass in the style of one of their guitars; carved top, arched body, like the old prototype...curious...

18. Cool! I wonder if they modified the 'non piezo' circuit versus the early model I had... I am one who thought the magentic tone was rather clacky, thin and metalic... however, it was a long time ago. +1 on the piezo thing... it sounds huge... just never could figure out an appropriate situation to use it.... it made that bass to big in the low end for me.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to checking one out again... see yout this afternoon.

K

19. Dude, it's not as "big" as a Jazz type ala' Celender or Sadowsky, much tighter, but not thin at all.
    Played it through the little Ampeg 2x8 combo and it rocked!
    Bring one of your basses for reference and to kill it with if you would like!!:D
    It needs some TLC set-up wise and I'll try and get to that today, but it still plays great.

I'm really diggin' it.

The mag tone is not clacky at all. Warm and tight. But modern sounding for sure.
    For my build and how I wear it, the body shape isn't an issue really at all.
    Plus, I have one of those Comfort Strapps (neopreen ones) and it hardly feels like you even have it on.

Now, just have to figure out the D-Tuner thing. Sperzel makes a version, but it's back ordered like crazy.
    And I'm not sure if HipShot offers the Sperzel in a D-Tuner any longer, or if a set of Ultralights with a D-Tuner would fit on that little headstock.
    Any useful info would be great!!

20. Yet another fun hang at LDS with Don (the owner) Ryan and Bob (the great staff) and Mike and a few others.

Well.... I liked the Parker Fly better than I remembered... the four string spacing is slightly tight, but not nearly as cramped feeling as the 5 I had for a short while a number of years ago.

Tone... very modern... as far to the 'hi fi modern' end of the tone spectrum IMO as a Modulus Quantum... with the same sort of neck feel... precise, perfect fretwork, no dead spots... TOTALLY even... so even as to maybe feel a little lifeless... but that's just the worn out 'graphite vs. wood' discussion (you either like it or you don't). The fretwork is perfect on that bass.

The magnetic pickup sound, as above was modern and present with plenty of zing... not really my thing, but nice and very usable.

The piezo tone is interesting, but seems to be more of a 'toy to play with' than something usable on most gigs. I could never quite figure out what to do with it when I had mine... sounded 'cool' at home, but not enough mid clarity and punch to generate much note definition on a gig in a mix IMO, and the modern materials, steel frets etc. took away any of the 'piezo warmth' that a Rob Allen type bass generates. Mixing the two (mag and piezo) sounded pretty, but I preferred the pure mag sound.

The weight is amazing... under 7 pounds I think... that's Rob Allen light.. a full pound lighter than the lightest routed Sadowsky NYC's... I mean light.

Just can't get used to the radical body design (pure personal taste there).. although the headstock is just amazing looking...

Finally, it really is a bass that was designed to be totally different than the 'typical' bass... from the headstock to the stainless steel frets to the 'wood neck encased in graphite', to the multilam body (I think 21 laminates!) to the piezo/magnetic (although that's not very unique any more, but Parker seemed to be the first one to start talking about it all those years ago), to the locking tuners (common on guitar, rare on bass), etc, etc.... it's almost like the designers said... how can we make everything different on a bass.

So... if anyone cares :D here's my summary take on the Fly.... nice playability, 'strange' futuristic styling, light weight, modern sounding, perfect fit and finish.... not my thing, but nothing inherently bad about it that I could see:bassist: