Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parker Fly

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LarryJ, Sep 13, 2002.

1. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    These look sweeeet!
    Do they exist, or are they NAMM "showpieces"?
    Anyone play one? Or own one??
    When I called their listed dealer here in Los Angeles,
    which could be considered a major market I guess, the salesman said "DuuuuuuuH I don' know nuthin'
    'bout dem" (GREAT JOB!)

Anyway, WHEN are they coming?
    Do they play as well as they look?
    Specs look great!
    I think I need to get one-

Anybody?....
    :confused:

2. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Wow.. I gotta talk to Fred in Pennsylvania & get on a list!:D
    I get it supply & demand!
    Thanks for the link-
    Now I REALLY want one-
    Let's see, $2999.00 list, that means about $2k,
    so I use my VISA & get cash w/ my Texaco card, &......

3. They rein supreme as the UGLIEST bass of the new millennium.

[​IMG]

$2K+ ? ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

4. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Ugly?

Dude.........!

I dunno, I think they bad, but to each his zone!
    As far as the 2K price, considering the specs I've seen doesn't seem out of line to me-
    Roscoe, Sadowsky, Warriors, etc etc all are priced similarly or much higher. Even mass-cranked out new Fender's are a grand.
    I paid $400 for my '69 P-Bass & aother $1000 restoring /refinishing it.
    I paid a cool $1000 for my Sterling.
    Ive seen some Carl Thompson basses e.g. for $$$$$
    which I KNOW are superb, but IMO, ridiculous looking-IMO.
    I like the FLY.

5. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    Actually, I think they are quite fugly :oops:

6. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Well for a "fugly" over-priced bass, there seems to be a pretty huge demand?

So... wassup w/ that ?

I LIKE THE FLY!

so there!!! :D

7. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    While I prefer the original style of the Parker Fly prototype bass, I do think the new version is pretty cool (especially in those pics at the website above).

As for the nay-sayers, at least that's two people you don't have to fight for one, right, Larry? :D

8. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    BassMonkee thanx for the words of support amongst a throng of dissent....
    Oh the injustice....!:) :p

Hey, everyone has their own tastes gear, music, styles, whatevah....

I like the FLY- I want to get one, along with a BassLabs "Soul", a Sadowsky 4, and a London Power preamp with an as-yet to be determined power amp(I'm thinking maybe the Peavey DPC),&
    probably a Bergantino cab then I'm DONE!

...I think.

9. Put down one more vote for ugly.

10. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i'll agree with bassmonkeee...i really liked the parker fly 5 string...the white one...that appeared on the cover of bass player like, in '92 or '93. these new ones are pretty....bleh

11. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Actually, the thread was not a vote or a poll-
    I wanted to see if anyone was playing these instruments.
    Ugly? While aesthetics are a matter of personal taste & conception, one's concept of what may be beauty or "art" if you will, is....
    AH SCREW IT!! I LIKE THE FLY!!!

so there! :D

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i don't know about the ugliest, but i'd say in the top ten for sure. to each his own. i like the way the guitars look a bit more, but hey, good for ya larryj. i hope you get one and you dig it. :)

13. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Even if they're not fugly (I lean in that direction), the fact that they don't use Parker's half-shell composite construction is a little bewildering. I mean, what works for guitar doesn't necessarily work for bass. But the electronics and funny styling alone don't make it a winner in my eyes.

14. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Already discussed (or disgust) ad infinitum. Haters outnumber non-haters 2 to 1.

15. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    HAS ANYONE PLAYED ONE????!!!!

THAT'S what I'd like to know....

Who cares if you think they are ugly or NOT (ha!)?

I myself, am personally ugly, however, my wife & daughter both think I am adorable...Go figure!:D

16. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Larry-- I think they are just too new, and no one has actually gotten one into a shop, yet. All you're going to get here is people ignoring the original question and simply spouting off about whether they think it is attractive, or not.

If you are serious about picking one up, you might just contact Parker directly and see if they can tell you where one might be available. Maybe they'll deal with you directly, who knows?

At the very least, they can probably tell you what the neck profile is comparable to, etc. I mean, if they tell you the neck is "wide, and thin," and you prefer "thick and skinny," it could cure the GAS with one quick phone call.

17. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    ...And I thank you again for an injection of common sense, BassMonkee!!!;)

You're right, I think, they're too new or possibly there is a production delay-That was my posting, to see if anyone had played one-OTOH, it wouldn't make a difference if they liked it or not, THAT is up to me or you, etc.

Looks aside, the specs of the instrument seem impressive to me- The DiMarzios,the carbon-fiber, etc. The bridge looks tight, & 7 lbs- I like that!
    I'm curious about the bass- I get the vibe that it will rock for some of the R&B/Blues thumb-stuff
    that I'm doing now, among other things-
    Parker said that there production was pre-sold;
    interesting that they aren't at dealers-I figure that
    LA would have these things, or NY, etc.That's why I mentioned the LA dealers "cluelessness" about stock- I wanna play the thing!!!
    Anyway, for whoever thinks the bass is an abomination, Fine, don't buy it-
    I'm not on commission!:cool:

18. Well, they may be a little short on details, but both JeremyC and maxvalentino mentioned in previous threads that they'd played the Fly bass at NAMM in January. You might have a look at these threads:

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37654&highlight=parker+AND+fly

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40436&highlight=parker+AND+fly

The appearance of the bass has been discussed pretty much ad nauseum, and there's nothing sillier than arguing with folks about their personal preferences anyway.

Mike

19. LarryJ

LarryJ banned

Dec 12, 1999
    Encino, CA (LA)
    Hey,Mike-Thanx for the threads-

(I shoulda done a search)

...You got that right about "volleying"
    back n' forth about this or any other instruments'
    appeal!;)