Parkerish cf-skinned fiver in progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Dec 15, 2012.

1. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    vacuum... as in the green bag is air tight and you attach a vacuum to an opening to suck all air out creating pressure- thus pressing the cf into the body?

2. slappa_dat_bass

slappa_dat_bass

Nov 10, 2012
    Or a foam core with a fiberglass skin, maybe even most of the neck, with a one inch maple core, similar to a surfboard? The core would be just wide enough for a truss rod........ Then some type of synthetic fretboard? Hmmmmm. Not trying to pirate this thread or nothin, just throwing the idea out there.

3. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Subbed mainly to see how you deal with routing and such.

4. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    You got it. That green bag stretches about 300% and follows the shapes of the vacuumed piece. The bag presses the cf tightly to the core and also presses the excess epoxy out of the laminate. My vacuum pump is made of an recycled refridgerator compressor and vacuum pressure switch. A bit slow air intake but works fine in this.
    I'm going to use an acrylic impregnated fretboard. Should be very stable.
    Routing goes just like routing wood, cf can be worked with carbide bladed router bits.

5. I have thought of doing this, but I need to finish my first bass first.

lowsound

6. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Laminating finished and two filler coats of epoxy added. They will cure over Christmas and then it's time for sanding. After sanding I'm routing slot for trussrod and making the fretboard.

WP_000029_zpsbc0e98a6.jpg

First filler coat on. Second coat made the surface a lot smoother.

7. Puavo

Puavo

Mar 19, 2011
    Too cool for school ;)

8. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    so what do you anticipate your bass w/approximately weigh in at?

9. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I haven't weighted the bass yet. When fretboard is glued I'll weight it. It feels quite a lot lighter than similar shaped four stringer.

10. RedMoses

RedMoses

Jul 4, 2012
    NYC
    Cool! Sub'd

11. More,must see more!!! Absolutely beautiful!

12. astack

astack

Nov 12, 2011
    St. Louis, MO
    Nice! Sub'd.

13. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Some progress. Two filler layers sanded, one more needed. Truss rod slot routed, fretboard slotted and glued. Next it's fretboard sanding and fretting and cavities for pickup and controls before final fill layer.

WP_000031_zpseaaf404b.jpg

WP_000032_zps044153b1.jpg

14. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Fretted weight is 1,95kg. I just leveled and crowned the frets. I may do a test play after I've fitted the headpiece. Can't wait to hear some test sounds. Even acoustic sounds will do.

15. Puavo

Puavo

Mar 19, 2011
    Looking good, and the weight is amazing. If I played fivers, I'd start saving for when you'll offload this before building the next one...

16. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Test fitted the bridge/tuner and headpiece. I also got to play the bass. Sounds nice acoustically.

WP_000038_zpsd7671e00.jpg

Weight of the finished bass will be around 2800g. Feels quite light.

Last epoxy coat added, now it will harden for two days before sanding and routing the cavities. Then it's time for final sanding and painting.

WP_000040_zps709ef558.jpg

17. Beej

Beej

Feb 10, 2007
    Vancouver Island
    I gotta say you do wonderful work... :)

18. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    What brand hardware are you using for the tuners and headpiece?

19. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Ets tuner/bridge and Hohner/Steinberger headpiece. Double ball end strings only. Status makes great db strings at quite nice price.
    Pickup will be either 10-coil Wal-like or Q-tuner inspired sidewinder, both custom-made in my shop.

20. bassingeorge

bassingeorge Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
    Love me some Carbon Fiber!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021