Parkerish cf-skinned fiver in progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Dec 15, 2012.

1. moonshinegtrs

moonshinegtrs Inactive Commercial User

Jan 28, 2009
    White Bluff,Tn.
    Owner: Moonshine Custom Guitars
    Thanks for posting this.

It is a really beautiful instrument. Nice work.

Moonshine:bassist:

2. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Cavities routed and last layer of epoxy sanded. Next it's light coat of sanding primer to show if there's more filling to do. That filling will be done with polyester filler.

WP_000047_zpsd93ae3e9.jpg

WP_000048_zps922de275.jpg

Here's a pic of the neck. Dark wood on the sides is obeche that has cf dust in the pores. All layers of woods and cf are clearly visible.

WP_000050_zps3855b611.jpg

3. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Here it is dressed in white with acrylic 2-component lacquer. Drying and hardening in our boiler room.

WP_000062_zps9a0a10c9.jpg

4. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    Really nice build so far. Watching the process from the start, I had thought it would have the CF weave exposed, but I can see how it must be extremely difficult to get the weave to be even and wrinkle free. Makes me respect Status instrument all the more.

5. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    It's lot easier to lay cf cloth into a mold than try to get nice look with peel ply and vacuum bagging. Even with mold it is difficult. My hat's off for Status too. They have perfected nice cf weave finish. I wanted something that doesn't shout out loud cf in the first look. Kind of more than meets the eye-look.

6. younggun

younggun

Jul 19, 2008
    San Antonio
    Is there a specific reason for using the vacuum method over molding? Does it allow you to use less CF layers for strength, or is it a bonding issue with the wood core?

7. ACNick

ACNick Guest

Oct 23, 2012
    South Florida
    I kept thinking to myself, "I guess the CF will look smooth after it has been sanded down." Now I understand that my thinking was incorrect. Either way, this is a really interesting project!

8. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    It is used for taking air and excess epoxy out of laminate and pressing the laminate to the correct shape. I'd find this kind of cf skin impossible to make without vacuum bagging.

9. bassingeorge

bassingeorge Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
    Nice build! I would have liked a clear coat finish, with the CF showing...but thats me! Don't forget to post a video of you playing it! ;)

10. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    And one from the back. Looks just like I thought it would look.

WP_000069_zps1b3780f8.jpg

I sanded it with 1000 and 2000 grit wet paper. I'll wait until tomorrow before polishing. Then it's about one evening work before it's ready for playing!

11. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    I'd hit it.

12. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    :cool: cool! a man w/a vision!

13. Red_Merkin

Red_Merkin

Nov 12, 2012
    Great build so far, looks really sharp!

I just have one question - what is the purpose of the carbon fiber layer?

14. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD

May 20, 2005
    Gives rigidity and hardness to the soft and light wood beneath it.

15. bassingeorge

bassingeorge Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
    MPU, is it feasible to use Unidirectional Carbon fiber throughout the length of the neck for better support, and just use the 3k weaving, for the body as aesthetics and support?

Anyway, nice bass! :)

16. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Why not, although this weave cloth has also fibers running along the whole neck. I layed the cloths so that the direction of fibers don't go exact the same direction on all the layers.

17. pilotjones

pilotjones

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Axial stiffness is not the only consideration in a neck beam. Necks show torsional modes of vibration also.

18. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    That's why I use woven cf cloth. With bit of stretching I can have 0, 45 and 90 degrees fibers easily.

19. JIO

JIO Connery... Sean Connery Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 30, 2010
    The Mission SF/CA
    musician/artist/owner - Gildaxe
    The industrial science of exactly how and where carbon is weaved/layered is top-secret info for the production of high-end bicycle frames for dialing the many dynamics which occur when riding one. I was on a tour at the Trek USA Bicycle facilities and they said depending on these nuances, they could build a bicycle frame that was super light/stiff/rigid, but un-ridable. With instruments some of the same needs are there w/the added aspect of tone-dialing.

20. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Sure are but just like with laminated multi-wood necks I'd stay away from accurate "info" about what and how mmuch makes the sound. After all there is so much going on in a bass that it's quite difficult to really find out the influence of each variable.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 18, 2021