Parkerish cf-skinned fiver in progress

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by MPU, Dec 15, 2012.

1. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Something around 600€ in parts and materials. I'm not planning to make another like this.

2. bassingeorge

bassingeorge Supporting Member

Jul 28, 2003
    San diego, CA
    SO RAD!

Sounds amazing! So clear! And the aesthetics are spot on!

3. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    that's a shame....lol.....oh well, can't say I didn't try.....

4. LM Bass

LM Bass

Jul 19, 2002
    Vancouver, BC
    Congratulations, very impressive!

5. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I just tried the bass with SVF-preamp. I really liked the sounds I got with it. I think I'm going to mount the preamp.

6. BassinCT

BassinCT

Jun 17, 2006
    Connecticut
    I really like the tone of that instrument! Was there any eq applied to the recording or was it flat? Either way that tone will sit nicely in a mix.

The design and execution of this bass is inspiring me to get my hobby going again. 2800g? wow. Thanks for sharing!

7. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Just the pickup, no eq at all.
    I just mounted the svf pre and Walish 10-coil pickup. Has thicker lows and still very clear highs.

8. Molded CF structures are v-bagged as well and they're all molded. In this case MPU is using a male mold. A hollow instrument is made in a female mold.

Here's a good video of a CF cello being made on a small scaled production basis:

http://www.carbonfibergear.com/video-how-to-make-a-carbon-fiber-cello/

9. wigglee

wigglee

Jun 28, 2005
    Toronto
    MPU, may I ask you a question? I want to pull the top half of the frets off a bass neck and have a semi-fretless. What would the best way of building up the fretless part so it approaches the height of the frets. Laminate a rosewood veneer? Many coats of epoxy?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

10. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'd laminate rosewood or ebony to the fretboard.

11. MPU

MPU

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    Just came from rehearsal. What a great sound with Wal-style pickup and svf-pre. So fat and articulate. Cuts thru the mix perfectly. Even sound thru the neck and almost eternal sustain. My shoulder likes the light weight.
    Did I tell you that I really, really like this bass.:D

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Sep 20, 2021