1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parking at work

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, Oct 28, 2013.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL The Beagle Father Supporting Member

Does your employer charge you to park at work? Mine does, though I take public transportation when the train system is not having a temper tantrum. Depending on what shift you work, a parking permit could be almost $200 a month.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

The big city is getting crazier every day.

3. marko138

marko138

May 24, 2013
    Perry County PA
    Charge me? No, in fact, my employer pays for my parking.

4. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    No...and I have a hard time wrapping my head around that. I'm glad I live and work in the suburbs.

5. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    +1

I couldn't fathom the idea of not negotiating that as part of your pay and benefits.

6. Totally redonkulous!

7. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    The employees at the U of Wisconsin have to pay for parking. Many ride bikes or take the bus.

The parking benefit was a casualty of budget cuts a couple years ago.

8. Parking is free for me. If it wasn't, I would park across the street at the liquor store.

lowsound

9. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    Nope.

10. If you work at a college or university, you pay for a parking permit. I've paid various amounts from $125 to $240 per year over my 33-year career in higher ed.

11. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    At the hospital I'm at there is a garage for 2 dollars a day. They had a lottery and I won a spot so I don't have to pay

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Unfortunately, parking space seems to be a major problem at just about every university. And it's an issue that also affects faculty, administration, and staff.

13. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Yup. There's no way around it. You want to have a lot of people living and working close enough together that they can get around by foot, so you end up with no space for cars.

14. ErebusBass

ErebusBass

Feb 20, 2008
    Madison, WI
    You forgot to mention students.

15. fdeck

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    They're too busy studying to need cars. :ninja:

16. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    Most companies don't own the parking structures for the office buildings they lease space within. In cities it's pretty typical that only the head chiefs get paid parking.

Lame, but not unheard of.

17. Hi.

Somewhat loaded question again MM, with as sparingly information as possible :).

If I remember Your profession correctly, of course you have to pay.
    The cost acts as an initiative to act as an example.

For me, it depends on the site I'm at, but usually I have to pay whatever the parking on a public parking space costs.
    Usually from 2€/day to 2€/hour.
    The former I usually let slide, the latter I don't.

If the parking inside the construction area, it's usually free, but You need to get a vehicle specific permit.

Back when I was teaching part time, I either had a private space, or I parked on the student parking lot.
    Free in either case.

Regards
    Sam

18. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Yeah my son works at the college that he's also attending. I ended up having to cough up the $ to pay for his parking because it was ridiculous. Too much for him to afford on a part-time salary.

Fortunately my employer has ample parking and they do not charge for it. It would really annoy me if they did.

19. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Not at work but parking at college was awful. 250 bucks for two semesters and you still have to hunt for spots and sometimes not find any.

20. I work at a Govt. primary (elementary) school. No problem parking for me. Lucky me. My sister works in the city & parks a 15 min walk from her office & she pays $50/week for it. :banghead: