1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parking the band RV overnight at Wal-Mart

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by gustobassman, Jun 4, 2014.

1. gustobassman

gustobassman I'm only here for the after party.. Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Some states allow RV's to park overnight at Wal-Mart. We just happened to do that twice on this last little tour we did. I have to admit, it was pretty cool having a full-blown grocery/department store available to you at 3:00 am after a long night. The people shopping at 3:00 am, well that's an adventure in itself. I wish I had taken pics, but on the second night of doing this, our merch/security guy came out after a 45 minute wander with a jar of pepperoncini's, a pack of snack-size snickers bars, and a box of instant mashed potatoes. We had no idea what his plan was, but the only thing gone in the morning was the liquid in the jar of pepperoncini's and half of the snickers bars. :vomit:

Anybody else have a tour story from staying overnight at Wal-Mart?

2. Gravedigger Dav

Gravedigger Dav Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Is it the states or is it the walmarts? I know that some stores allow it and some don't.
    Haven't done it, but I have it in the back of my mind just in case. I usually try to find a place with hookups. between April and September in Texas, A/C is a necessity. I have run my A/C on a 20 amp hookup, but you can't make coffee at the same time.

3. Flad

Flad

Apr 18, 2014
    I'm pretty sure that I read that it's Wal-mart policy to let anyone stay overnight in an RV in their parking lots. I didn't know there maybe states with laws that forbid it though.

4. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    You know, i'm not sure. I could've sworn it was a state thing, but I could definitely be mistaken... Our rig had a generator, and luckily we were near Napa CA, it was only 75 daytime high.

5. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    copied from Walmart FAQ site:
    While we do not offer electrical service or accommodations typically necessary for RV customers, Walmart values RV travelers and considers them among our best customers. Consequently, we do permit RV parking on our store parking lots as we are able. Permission to park is extended by individual store managers, based on availability of parking space and local laws. Please contact management in each store to ensure accommodations before parking your RV.

So it looks like it is actually both. There is also a site that show which Walmarts where you cannot overnight. It mentions roughly 700.

Winoman and Flad like this.
  6. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    Interesting. It was a good break from a normal truck stop that's for sure...

Flad likes this.
  7. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    Might even smell better

8. nashman

nashman

Feb 11, 2011
    I think it's allowed in Canada too.

9. Technotitclan

Technotitclan Lurking TB from work

Mar 1, 2012
    Rochester, NY
    Used to do overnight maintenance at a Walmart. I can tell you here in NY overnight parking is kosher. We've had a few people stop at the store I worked at. Theres no hookups but the parking is free and theres plenty of space.

10. Howlin' Hanson

Howlin' Hanson Lighter cabs, please.

Sep 3, 2007
    Austin TX
    Always ask permission.

Winoman and Technotitclan like this.
  11. Bim1959

Bim1959

Apr 15, 2009
    Naples Florida
    Sales and electronic tech/piano tech: England Music Center - Clinton IA - now closed
    A couple years ago my wife's stepfather, a good friend of ours and I went to a Miami/Homestead WalMart for the final race of the NASCAR season. This seemed like a flagship store because it was HUGE. Over in one corner of the parking lot were hundreds of RVs and campers and there were rent-a-cops in golf carts cruising thru the area. Of course on the wall of the WalMart is a huge sign that says WELCOME NASCAR FANS. The McDonalds they had inside was clearly marked with the store hours but it seems for that weekend it was open 24/7.

12. Gravedigger Dav

Mar 13, 2014
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I am sure we are all aware that you can't get altruism at Walmart, even the cheap Chinese variety. RVers need supplies and Walmart will gladly sell you what ever you need. Most even have RV type products in or near the camping section.

Winoman likes this.
  13. fraublugher

fraublugher

Nov 19, 2004
    ottawa, ontario, canada
    music school retailer
    It's their ONLY redeeming quality , don't tell any one.[except musician's]

Bill Whitehurst likes this.
  14. marmadaddy

marmadaddy

Oct 17, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    How's getting a lecture at 3am in the middle of Kentucky on the reasons why Boston is not a fit place for man nor beast from a guy named Zeke wearing a cowboy hat with no teeth and a chaw the size of his fist? Direct quote: " 'tother thing about Bowston is, they ain't got no good truck stops in Bowston." "Umm, yeah the real estate tends to get used for things like colleges..."

Winoman likes this.
  15. Tat2dHeart

Tat2dHeart Only two strings away from an attitude problem.

I've stayed overnight many times at Wal-Marts. Truck stops, too. But that's because I drove a truck, not because I was on tour. After a few weeks on the road, there is nothing on the planet better than a trip to the grocery store and anything edible that didn't come out of a restaurant kitchen.

16. there was a tour bus parked at my local walmart on Sunday morning. I wanted to look to see who was in the area, but that would have required me doing something.

Gravedigger Dav likes this.
  17. gustobassman

Mar 31, 2011
    Sandy Eggo
    So i forgot the TB #1 rule... No RV pics or it didn't happen. This was the vehicle we parked for 2 nights at Wal Mart

TTT spring tour 2014 Half moon bay.

18. bnutz

bnutz

Mar 27, 2007
    Los Angeles
    I find this policy to be one of Wal Mart's few redeeming qualities. Anything that will help a band on the road hang on to an extra buck or two is fine by me.

I've never parked there overnight myself, but both my parents, and in-laws have taken trips across the country and have used the Wal Mart RV Park option and had no issues anywhere.

-b

Winoman likes this.
  19. I've stayed in Wally World parking lots several times on trips. My main complaint was that it wasn't very quiet, lots of traffic even in the middle of the night. Still though it was handy.

Heading out on a trip once, we stopped at a rest area late at night and I realized the trailer's battery was dead, so no lights inside the trailer. Not good--won't keep the fridge running. Got back on the road and a half hour down the road there was a Super Walmart, open 24 hours. Jackpot! Pulled in, went inside with my old battery, came out fifteen minutes later with a new battery...at 2 in the morning. Installed it in the trailer on the spot and went on down to Florida.

Winoman likes this.
  20. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    truly awesome way for the band to travel, but i can't help but think that the "hey look, trailer full of band gear, come steal it!" band logo paint job was not a good idea.

were i in that position, my trailer would read "wally's live scorpion and toxic waste disposal service" :)

hdracer, mattyb5000, Remyd and 2 others like this.