Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parliament lyric???

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by caesarbass, Aug 2, 2005.

1. For years I've been wondering what this lyric means, and I'm sure someone here can help....from the song "P-Funk (Wants To Get Funked Up)", there's a lyric, "sounds like it's got a three on it." What does that mean???? I feel soooooo unhip.... :eek: :rollno:

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

For P-Funk to make lyrical sense, I'm pretty sure you need to drop acid.

3. Awesome!!!! I'll try it!!! :D

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    On a side note: The funniest thing I've ever heard from someone who does acid was, "I dropped acid and then I listened to Pork Soda by Primus... and all of a sudden, it made sense."

5. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    If it's the lyric I'm thinking about ("sounds like it's got a 3 on it to me...tha lollipop man, chocolate coated freak in habit form"), I believe he's talking about a rating from 1 - 10......they got a 3.

...and Matt's right... I understood the lyrics much better when I used to indulge.

6. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    Actually, the line is "Sir Lollipop Man....Chocolate-coated, freaky and habit forming. Doin' it to ya in 3d. So groovy that I dig me."

And I think "Sounds like it's got a 3 on it to me" has to do with something coming in on the 3rd beat. Instead of coming in on the 1, it came in on the 3. I'm guessing, but I've always interpreted it that way.

Peace,

James

(FWIW - my answers were arrived at in an acid free environment ;) )

7. Nobody writes lyrics like that anymore. Thanks for contributing, I knew I could count on you guy!!!!! The mysery is lifted...sort of..."Good evening, do not attempt to adjust your radio, we have taken control!"

8. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ

Went home and listened to it last night....you are correct, sir!!

9. Actually it's a rip on "blue eyed soul" or funk from southern white guys getting a 3 outta 10. GC cites some examples that don't really apply Doobie Brothers, and David Bowie probably because he knew that there really were and are funky white guys. "Doobie in yo funk"

10. GSPLBASSDC

GSPLBASSDC

Jan 25, 2005
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think he was being derisive...."I went to a concert with the Doobie brothers, David Bowie....It was cool, but can you imagine Doobie in your funk?"

And yes, there are funky white guys