1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parliament or Funkadelic?

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by markjazzbassist, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Parliament - Gimme that Cosmic Funk

21 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. Funkadelic - Psychedelic Rock for me

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. markjazzbassist

markjazzbassist Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I've been listening to a lot of P-Funk lately and thought this would be a good one. I love both of them, but if you had to pick one to listen to, which would it be?

Parliament for me. Gotta love the funkyness.

2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I remember buying Maggot Brain when I was about eleven or so. I also remember hearing all of those "underground" hits that Funkadelic had before they blew up like "Feeling Better by the Pound" and "Red Hot Mamma." I guess the perfect albums would be Let's Take It to the Stage One Nation Under a Groove, and Uncle Jam Wants You, if you want a funkier Funkadelic. Maggot Brain and Hardcore Jollies, and their last album for Westbound, which had the single "Undisco Kid." are better for a more rock sound.

3. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    This is silly; it's all about the name Parliment being tied up in court, not about a different band or direction. They had to create a new band with all the same members to record with a different label. So all you are really asking is about the earlier or later stuff. I liked the mid to late stuff, which is mostly Funkadelic by name.

4. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Whats the story behind P-funk? I was under the impression that they were two separate bands that merged, but it seems not so!

5. arbarnhart

arbarnhart

Nov 16, 2006
    Raleigh, NC
    Parliment (actually "The Parliments") was under contract to the Revilot label when Revilot folded in the late 60s and there were legal issues because that contract was quite possibly their most valuable asset. So they couldn't perform or record under that name without complications.

EDIT - An "oh yeah" - there was a merger of some sort but it didn't have to do with the name change. The Collins brothers (Bootsy and Catfish) were in a band (I think it was "The House Guests") that they disbanded to play with P-Funk. If you read the history of the band, it isn't as clear exactly who was a member and who played on some tours and albums but also was in and out doing other things.

6. If I gotta choose, then Parliament! Why? More people know Parliament tunes and therefore I could gig with them. HOWEVER, the Funkadelic stuff is butta. The Parliament stuff is toast. One let's you eat the other is musical candy flavored topping! Both essantial for good eats!

:hyper:

7. ed khalimba

ed khalimba platinum member

Dec 24, 2005
    have you ever listened to any funkadelic albums compared to parlaiment albums? they are cleary different bands with different directions, even if they shared a lot of members, and they were both making albums at the same time. this has been discussed in quite a few interviews with these players. anyway, for me it's funkadelic. the album "maggot brain" is crazy funky, and rocked too. i always thought parlaiment was like funk to dance to, and funkadelic was funk to trip out on.

8. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    I've only listened to a couple funkadelic albums- never owned any. The main difference I see between them is that I see Funkadelic as more guitar-driven and acid rock influenced than Parliament. Are these correct generalizations?

I've always listened to more parliament, but I remember really enjoying the grit from funkadelic albums.

9. MakiSupaStar

MakiSupaStar The Lowdown Diggler

Apr 12, 2006
    Huntington Beach, CA
    I voted for Funkadelic. Cosmic Slop is the bomb. It's got Nappy Dugout AND Cosmic Slop on it. Two amazing songs. Also it has the best line ever in No Compute - Hey Baby, Is a pig's pu$$ee pork?. Still, having seen Parliament about 4 times, I really love Parliaments stuff too, so it's like saying do you like your cadillac's in red or black? Does it really matter, it's still a cadi.

10. bassboysam

bassboysam Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Funkadelic was more rock and had no horns compared to Parliament.

I would take funkadelic anyday. March to the Witch's Castle has got to be one of my favorite songs. And Maggot Brain (the Eddie Hazel version) has got to be one of the best instrumental songs ever recorded.

11. steveb98

steveb98 [acct disabled - multiple aliases]

Mar 15, 2006
    Venice, CA
    Parliament for me the Funkadelic stuff get too loose. From some George Clinton thing I read he was saying Funkadelic was the party/jam band. I listen to both and Parliament sounds more together. But I first got into them in the 60's with the single I Wanta Testify which they did do again on a later album.