1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parliament - Supergroovalisticprosifunkstication

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Tupac, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Tupac

Tupac

May 5, 2011
    For a funk song, this is hard! The riff at 1:35 is just brutal on my left hand. I guess help?

Link

2. Haven't heard this song in quite awhile. Thanks for the reminder. I fooled around with that riff for a minute and found that most of the notes sit in that neat little 2 fret, 3 string box shape from the A at the 12th fret "A" string to the A an octave up on the 14th fret of the G string. It's just based on the E minor pentatonic from the 12th fret.

The last part of the riff seems to go up to the 16th fret on the G, but I dunno for sure as I only spent a few minutes on it.

I'd say, just find a program to slow it down and play it over and over till you find a fingering you like and can play it cleanly. If you don't have a program that can record songs from youtube, you might have to buy it, but that whole album should be in your collection anyway...

If you're gonna play funk you have to be able to manipulate pentatonics in your sleep. Especially if you're gonna try to cop Bootsie's mojo...

And I resent the line "...for a funk song... blah blah" Playing funk so that it grooves, is harder to do than nearly any other music you can play on bass. Period. The bass IS funk. If the bass line ain't happenin', the song ain't happenin"... And it has to be dead on. ALL the time. ALL night long.