Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Part III: The Onslaught mp3's

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by chris h, Oct 25, 2004.

1. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Hi everyone,

please feel free to download three full songs from our debut album 'ghar dalam'. check out www.theonslaught.com and enjoy! i am using a marleaux consat straight 4, a olp/status mm3, and a pedulla mvp custom 4 on tracks 1,2 and 3 respectively.

cheers

2. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Any thoughts, anyone? Your input would be greatly appretiated.

Thanks
    Chris

3. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    anyone? I would like your feedback :)

4. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    hm, i listened to the tracks and i will try to give you some feedback, but please note that the music is not entirely my cup of tea.

first let me say that the presentation is not very good - i mean the mixes. i tried to "look/hear through" to the musical core, but the bad production kept annoying me. i have to admit that i've heard worse, but there's still a big difference in professionality between the presentation of your band/music on the website and the actual mixed tracks.

on to the music: as mentioned above, it's not really what i like to listen to, so take this with a grain of salt.

all of the songs still seem very raw. each one contains at least two or more interesting ideas, but they aren't used to their full potential. here the sound becomes a problem, as one thing i find lacking is your use of dynamics. the songs contain different sounding passages, but you don't do much to make a unique statement within the whole out of that.

i probably begin to sound a bit vague and esoteric, so i'll stop here. my overall message is that (besides the sound) you should work on the arrangements and try to keep the listener focussed by leading them from one "point" to the other during a song.

5. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    It was pretty good, but one annoying part was when you were slapping on Anubus. Your pops sounded so empty and kinda out of place. For example, when RyKnow (MudVayne) pops he usually pops chords which sound rich and full and warm. Maybe you could try incorporating that. It'd fit the pocket better, i guess.
    BTW, I like the vocals and your alot better than the crap in my neighborhood :D

6. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks very much for the feedback thus far everyone, all appretiated :)

7. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    I def agree with your points thus far, The trouble was we had a very limited budget in the studio, our guitarist/vocalist's gear is crap and we had to throw them together very quickly. I am currently playing a fretless with this band and we have a few more songs with a more mellow vibe to them sorted out.

I was actually very pleased indeed with the sound of the drums and bass on the CD, the guitar was a real challenge.

8. The Beast

The Beast

Jul 19, 2004
    Evil Town
    My only problem with it was that it sounded very undynamic, very flat. Its not with the production, but it seems like you guys need smooth it out, lock in together more, and keep the balance well. Your singer/guitarist sounds tired. But the actual songs were heavy and well played.

9. chris h

chris h Guest

Jun 16, 2002
    Oxford, England
    Thanks mate. Yeah it was hard to capture the 'Live' energy in the studio. I bet mark (singer) was knackered after the mission we had to do every morning to get there and set up.. He had no time to warm up his voice etc unfortunately. After having played these tracks and others live for a few times we have definitely setled back into the groove a little,

Thanks again for these useful comments.