Part Time Job Suggestions

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Sep 14, 2005.

1. Hey everyone.

I was just curious if anyone had any suggestions. I'm looking for a part time job just to bring in some extra cash each month. I currently work for myself but my schedule is that I have ALOT of down time. Ideally, Id like to do something with music/basses and a job that would be flexible enough for my gigging schedule. I checked at my local Guitar Center, but they are only hiring full time.

Any have any other suggestions? Like I said, I'm not looking at making this my career. Just something low stress to bring in some extra cash to make paying some bills easier and so I can buy some toys..
  2. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Give lessons? Gig more? I'm not sure if there would be too many other part time music related jobs. Good luck!
  3. +1
    Or become a bartender in a well known nightclub esp.if they have live bands at a regular basis so you can check out the talent out there
  4. hmm bartender probably wouldnt be too good with my gigging schedule. Right now I'm booked up on weekend gigs (I think I have about 23-24 gigs until the end of november).. Id thought about teaching but I dont know where I would do it around here is the problem...
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I sideline doing various construction thingies. Tiling, house painting, home repair/renovation, landscaping, whatever. Pays pretty nice, and I can make in four weekends (that's 8 days total) what my sister made working 40+ hours a week for a month. And I work fairly cheaply, as these things go.

It's not hard to learn, either.
  6. Go to the grade schools, and Jr. High music directors and ask if there are any students that would like to get lessons. My son's drum instructor gives lessons at one of the local schools to the students and they supply the room for her to do it in.

Go the the music stores that rent instruments, etc. and see if they have rooms set up to give lessons out of the shop. I know a couple of people that give drum and instrument, (not to separate the two...!), lessons in music stores. One guy gives all his lessons on one day, (Sat.) and does pretty well.

Other than that, stay home, look through all your "junk" and start selling crap on Ebay. There's some people that do that for a living now, I hear! ;)
  7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Join the Navy and be an MU (musician). If you're good enough, you'll land a gig entertaining some seriously HIGH RANKING government officials using the best gear Uncle Sam can buy. :bassist: San Diego's local Navy band's bassist has an electric upright, a Jazz, a P and some righteous Ampeg SVTs. Your Chief makes sure everybody helps setting up and breaking down so you can bring those 8X10s anywhere.

4 yr stint, pay your bills, see the world, meet other ppl and get friendly their women.
  8. Just lookin for a side job, not a career..

Thanks for the suggestion though
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    deliver pizzas. Good cash on the side...
  10. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    Well, Blackbird, you seem to be full of seamen yourself today. I like your humorous comment.

Are you a prude?
  11. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Click here...

...then click here...

...then read the whole thing, which you obviously haven't done yet.

You're welcome.

Edit: For future reference (and this goes for everyone), please ask your mod related questions directly to me via PM. Public posts like this disrupt the integrity of the thread.

Bobby, how about house sitting and dog walking, that kind of thing? They're relatively low stress...
  12. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
  13. Actually, I think I might start to browse for teaching jobs.. Only problem is I dont have a resume together and no previous teaching experience but I know i could do it. Any suggestions on the resume?
  14. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
  15. Don't work at Guitar Center. A place where the majority of employees play music on some level, and they frown upon moving your schedule around to accomodate gigs. :rollno:
    Work at a CD store. You can get paid to talk to people about music.
  16. what do you mean?
  17. Blackbird

Mar 18, 2000
    What subject would you teach?
  18. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Look into your local county office of education. Special education classes ALWAYS need sub assistants and teachers. You need very little in terms of knowledge, they usually pay well, and you can help people that appreciate what you do. I have done it for years.
  19. Sell drugs to school children!
  20. As far as teaching, I was implying bass lessons.. I'd love to teach a computer class though.. I graduated with a comp sci degree.