Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

PART TWO: need some opinions on shape!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockandroller, Sep 1, 2002.

1. 14

3 vote(s)
    6.5%
  2. 14-B

24 vote(s)
    52.2%
  3. 15-A

1 vote(s)
    2.2%
  4. 15-C

7 vote(s)
    15.2%
  5. 16

9 vote(s)
    19.6%
  6. yer LOSIN IT - the first ones were better!

2 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. I'm in the process of having a bass built for me. Its gonna be a bit eccentric (as all my basses are) but as its being done by a top-notch builder, I expect it will sound and play great when its done.

The problem is, I "designed-in" a limitation: it has to fit into a regular "stratocaster" molded flight case.

Consequently, its been a bit of a battle to come up with something balanced. Its "do-able" as a neck-through headless, and with a small enough body to fit in the "strat' footprint, but its looking wierder and wierder as i go along.

the construction of neck laminations is just getting underway, so i have a couple of weeks before the actual body design has to be submitted!

please have a look at my 'pre-production' corel drawings, and give me some advice as to what looks good, bad, or just plain UGLY! After banging out twenty different sketches I'm not very objective any more...

** The pics are exact scale drawings, but the hardware has just been 'blocked in' (grey squares representing the chrome parts), and the neck-laminations arent strictly accurate. But the finish (tiger-eye over quilted maple) is pretty close! The final thing will be 4-strings, fretted, ebony board.

ALL comments are graciously appreciated, as i dont want this to turn out as the next "Wishnevsky"!!

PS: Thanks for everyone who voted on the first thread - based on the advice given there, i have whittled it down to these six 'refinements' (hopefully) on the 3 most popular of my 12 original sketches.

[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. I'd go with 14B. Neat design and not as outlandish as 15 and 16.

Interesting idea, having it fit in a strat case. You'd think that since you're having it custom made they wouldn't mind throwing in a case. What's the story on that one?

5. Incidentally, now its underway, so i have to decide on the body shape SOON :)

here are a couple of workbench pics:

[​IMG]
    the pic above shows the flame maple and karelian birch parts of the neck, as well as some of the flamed ash for the body, and quilt maple (for the top) - the dark mahogany 'stringers' for the 5-piece neck weren't cut out yet when this pic was made..

[​IMG]
    the pic above shows the raw karelian birch, the ebony for the fretboard, and some flame maple (which was later replaced with the wider curl stuff shown in the first pic)...

Oh, and here are the final specs:

* Headless neck-through-body, sized to fit in a 'stratocaster' molded flight case.
    * 32 inch (medium) scale
    * ebony fretboard
    * "tapered" 5-piece neck laminations:

AAA Flame Maple
    (extremely dense) Mahogany
    Hard Karelian Birch
    (extremely dense) Mahogany
    AAA Flame Maple

* EMG 35DC
    * EMG active bass, treble, & sweep mid EQ
    * body of extremely flamed Ash
    * 1/2" quilted maple top
    * Custom made chromed brass tuner block with 50:1 ratio machines
    * custom made highly polished stainless steel bridge.
    * custom made highly polished stainless steel locking nut assembly (so the bass can use regular strings)
    * translucent dyed "Tiger-Eye" finish
    * schaller strap-locks

6. Listen

Listen

May 19, 2002
    14b

7. MorganM

MorganM

Dec 11, 1999
    I concurr, 14B

8. thanks for your input! Aside from general ergonomics concerns, i wanted it to be small enough to fit in the tiny trunk of a certain little car that has 'just' enough room to squeeze one of those fender strat molded cases in it....

9. BillyBishop

BillyBishop

Feb 7, 2001
    Canada
    I like 16, personnally. It's very unique without being cheesy.

10. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    14 - I'm a conservative... :)

11. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    16 is a killer!

12. One more thing, here is a pic of the "outline" I have constrained myself to, with the hardware set in to scale...

if anyone wants to sketch out their idea over top, and post it up here, please feel free...

[​IMG]

(also attached is a zip of the corel draw file) :)

13. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    maybe it is because I am wierd, but I like 16.

It is really origional, and I doubt there will ever be another bass like it. at least not for a LONG time.

And it isn't cheesy as some of the odd ones are.

My vote is 16.

Dare to be origional!!! Dare to be different!!!

14. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i voted for 16, but i do think that some of your other designs were better.

15. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    14b

16. dhuffguitars: yer web site is freakin awesome! and that Z-series prototype is SWEET. :cool:

17. savagelucy

savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    Canada
    i like 14b the best.

18. i like 15A and C

19. dhuffguitars

dhuffguitars Luthier/Bass Wanker depending on your opinion

Sep 18, 2001
    SPOKANE WA
    Thank you! You have some great ideas going on here, and I look forward to seeing the finished project!!!

20. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't know, for fun I just tried a combination of two of your designs...

[​IMG]

the lower horn looks a bit stunted, this one is better I think

[​IMG]

But I think I like yours better, 14 and 14B.