1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

"Partial" 8x10 questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Eric Moesle, Sep 25, 2008.

1. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    What a terrible topic header . . .

Lots of Ampeg and possibly some other makes of 8x10's are wired so that only the upper 4 speakers can be used, and the bottom 4 separately. That's desireable to me since I can just use the top 4 and get sound at ear level without blowing a small stage away with all 8 speakers. Lifting around two 4x10's for height is becoming cumbersome to me, so I think I want to try an 8x10 and just roll it in. Keep in mind that this is just mostly for stage monitoring for myself and the other guys, bass always go through a full PA. One 4x10 is fine for most shows but I like it up high, and some large stages I need two 4x10's to cover.

So, I figure on getting an 8x10 to tinker with and wire each set of 4 speakers separately. TWO QUESTIONS come to mind:

1. Would it be better to wire JUST ONE SIDE of an 8x10 with four speakers in a vertical array instead of having the top four in a cluster at ear level? Thoughts please.

2. If the cab is ported, will wiring it so that only 4 of the 8 speakers are firing cause port tuning or other issues if they all share the same interior cab space? Example, in the separately wired Ampeg each set of 2x10's is in its own sealed compartment. Not so with a ported 8x10. Thoughts?

2. toobalicious

toobalicious

May 6, 2008
    triad, nc
    why dont you get a roadcase for one of your 4x10's? then you:

(a) can still "roll it in"
    (b) can sit the cab on top of the case to get the height you want
    (c) dont have to BUY an 8x10
    (d) dont have to MOVE an 8x10

of course, maybe you just want an 8x10 :bassist:

3. Someone correct me if I am wrong but I don't think the SVT810s are ported at all. And, why would you rewire the cabinet when you can already play just the top 4 in the newer models of the Ampeg? I have mine set up like that and it sounds pretty good.

As far as wiring...I don't think wiring in a vertical row would be ideal for sound at all...but I dunno.

4. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I've got a road case. Heavy has $^#%. Too much work to lift it in and out of my van, lift off the lid, then lift the heavy cab and put it on top. With an 8x10, I can just tip it in and out, then roll it and be done with it.

5. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    That's the Ampeg sound - a sealed 810 with no tweeter.

6. Eric Moesle

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    Ampegs aren't ported, but most other 8x10's are and I was looking at a non-Ampeg unit. Just curious as to how ported and sharing internal spacing makes a difference if only have of the drivers are powered.