Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

partial defretting

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jhamby2000, Dec 24, 2002.

1. jhamby2000

jhamby2000

Jun 14, 2002
    i seem to remember some talking about this subject once before, couldn't find the thread. so here is the question. if i defret my bass of all but the bottom 4 frets(19 thru 22) could i still do cool fretless stuff and also get a nasty slapping sound? i have a fretless that i love playing probably more so than my fretted bass, but i love to slap. and i know many people will respond with "you can slap on a fretless" response, in my humble opinion i vastly prefer slapping on my fretted bass. has any one tried this? results?

2. Probably not. The height of the frets on that end of the neck will keep your strings from laying flat when fingering at the other end. That close, even contact of the string with the fingerboard gives that much sought after "mwah". If you want something that will do the job and not interfere with the timbre of the fretless, you might try a total defret with the addition of a brass block across the width of the neck at a point below the last fret. This block can be just little higher than the fingerboard but not as tall as a fret. Then, when you slap, your strings will hit this block giving the characteristic percussive attack.

3. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    there was this bass on ebay that had the frets above the 12th fret removed, not a bad idea and you could still get the mwah you like.

4. arose11

arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    just an idea