Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Partially fretted -how well does it work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by qveda, May 15, 2002.

1. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm considering getting a fretless 5 string for my first bass. There are so many factors, that the decision is tough on which bass to get is tough! Why not throw in another factor ? ;-) It was suggested to me that I consider a partially fretted bass to get fretless sound on the low strings, and have some frets on this higher strings towards the bridge. How well does this work - in terms of tone and playability?

-Qua

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    I don't know how the fretless/fretted combo would work,, seems to me that if you got up high on the fretless it would buzz against the frets at the end!

3. I've never heard of some frets toward the bridge. Kramer used to make at least one partially fretted model that was normally fretted up to the 12th fret, and then fretless after that. I don't think it went over too big. I would just get a lined fretless neck, but, that's just me.

Good luck.
    Mike J.

4. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hi, Here is a link to a partially fretted work of art, by Pagelli. http://www.pagelli.com/e/2instrum/bass_git_fr.html
    And I've seen (but didn't get to try it) a partially fretted F Bass. It was beautiful, too. I just don't know how well they play, but they must have them dialed in pretty well.

-Qua

5. Well now that I've seen it, it doesn't look so strange.
    This is an idea that I've never even considered. You know, it's appealing to me more and more by the minute. The workability basses look pretty good too.

Ah, leave it to the Italians for avant-garde designs!
    Bravissimo!

Mike J.

6. OOPPS ! I just realized that they're Swiss. :(

Ah, but, that's an Italian name. ;)

Mike J.

7. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Those aren't frets, just fretlines.

To have frets high but not low, the fretless portion of the board would have to be raised up to be just about the height of the frets. Well the same thing goes for the reverse too (fretless past Nth fret). Not impossible, but I haven't seen it done. Closest I can think of is a Chapman Stick that was made partially fretless by covering the frets on the low strings with a piece of sheet metal (it was crafted by Emmett, not just thrown on there :) and I heard it worked well).

8. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    Hmmm, I didn't think that these might be just fretlines on the Pagelli, but perhaps you are right. Yet they refer to it as "partially fretted", not "partially fretlined". And other makers appear to make partially fretted - now, I'm not sure what they are.

9. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    Sorry, I was looking at this one:

[​IMG]

not this one:

[​IMG]

:)

From the looks of it, the fretless part is raised up. Cool.

10. qveda

qveda

Apr 3, 2002
    I'll take a dozen of those ! Actually, I thought the single necked bass had frets, didn't realize they were fretlines, but I see why the must be. And the double necked one with the bottom half of one neck fretted and the top (apparently raised ) seems like the only practical way to make it work. Thanks for offering this clarification. I guess unless I can afford an exotic custom, I should forget the concept of 'partly fretted' bass.

11. boobinga

boobinga

Feb 9, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Matt Pulcinella makes a fret/fretless combo. You could take a look at his website, www.mpguitars.com. Best of fortune to you!

12. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    i thought warwick made partially fretted basses.
    fretted at the top but fretless at the bottom
    o what it is the other way around
    *looks around confused*
    up at the headstock is fretted then below teh 12th fret is fretless
    a what isn't that above the 12th fret?
    *falls over head hurting*

13. That bass is so beautiful it hurts. And the "Workability" basses are even nicer. If only I had been rich...

14. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002

Who makes this bass - website?
    I'm very interested to see what tuning system it has.

15. theJello

theJello

Apr 12, 2000
    That sounds pretty pointless but what ever floats
    your boat.

16. BassFelt

BassFelt

Mar 26, 2002

Thanks - I got it now. I'm going to try to order a few of those tuners for my project.

17. Check out these basses at solidbodyguitar.com They are pretty sweet, more practical than the one above and I think you can customize different fret locations.