1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parting out vs. Selling as a whole

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lavmonga, Mar 14, 2008.

1. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    What do you guys think? I just gave into GAS and bought an LP money bass, and now I've gotta let some things go. I just got this bass so it has the least sentimental attachment. The body I think might be a Squier or MIM Fender, I don't think it's SX because it's copper shielded (any way I can figure it out?). The neck is an SX, the Pups are Duncan Basslines and have 500k pots and a new input, the bridge is a BAII and the tuners are Grover Waves. You think I should "chop shop" it or just sell it as a whole?

SXjbass.

2. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    You could conceivably make more $ by parting it out - but is it worth the trouble? Besides taking it apart, you might have to deal with five online ads instead of one, five packages to ship instead of one, etc.

If I tried that, my luck would be that the neck, bridge and pickups would sell, but the body and tuners would not. Then I would have to decide if I just throw the body and tuners in a box in the basement and MAYBE use them for something else sometime in the future, or if I should go buy a new neck, bridge and pickups for my "new" project bass, consisting of the same body and tuners.

JUST SELL THE WHOLE BASS - IMHO.

3. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Good question, I spent a bit of coin hooking up a squier, and now I got about 400 in it. I think to myself, if I ever wanted to sell it, who in their right mind would pay 400 for a squier? Even if it had a lakland bridge, gotoh tuners, fralin single coils, and audere pre?

Luckily, its my main gigging bass for electric, but yeah I kinda wondered what to do should GAS strike. It always seems to be lurking.... :ninja:

4. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Good looking bass. I think you actually might get less by parting it out than you would selling it whole.

5. +1 100% agreement!

6. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    The trouble with being an organ donor is that you pretty much have to be dead. Sell it whole.

7. You might be able to tell what the body is by looking in the control cavities. The MIM or Squier would probably have a laminated, plywood or multi-piece body, where if it's it an SX, it wouldn't be plywood. Not sure if that's much help though. I'd sell it whole. It's a really nice looking bass.

8. lavmonga

lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    Thanks for the compliments and the info, I'll defintely pop out a pickup and see what I can come up with. It has a Squier "20th anniversary" neck plate (Hence I assumed Squier). But it sounds so damn good I thought maybe the plate was just a replacement because it looks nice. I put it up on Craigslist for $300, what do you think? Is that too steep?

9. If you polish it up really well and take some really clear big pictures of it, I would think you could get $300.

10. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    i'd say it's worth $300