Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parting with a beloved bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by alembicfive, Sep 9, 2005.

1. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Has anyone out there in bass land ever had trouble parting with a bass that you hang onto for sentimental reasons??

I have an Alembic bass that I am considering selling, but I don't know if I have the heart to do it! Since I have played bass, I always dreamed of getting an Alembic. Well back in 1990 I had the chance (and funds) to get one, a 5-string too! I absolutely loved that bass. I was on the road at the time playing top-40 :( and that bass fit the bill perfect. The sound was great and lets not forget the workmanship (plus this sucker has LEDs in the neck).

Well I have not used it much in the last 5 years or so. I have been playing R&B...Blues mostly, so I prefer more of a Fender sound. Now in the past 5 months I have really reverted back to my roots, old school so to speak! I got the 4-string bug and ended up getting a bunch of Jazz basses. Well I ended up dumping all my 5-strings, except the Alembic. All I use now is my 60's Jazz and Standard Jazz fretless.

I have been really GASing for a Jaco Jazz Fretless (not the relic) bass, but cash is tight. Thus the thought of selling it. But I am having trouble parting with it......I don't play it, but I have had it for so long........ARG :help:

Any thoughts out there???

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

You haven't listed one good reason that you should get rid of it.

Keep it.

3. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Dont get rid of it, if it pains you that much to ask for a blessing to do it, you love that Bass way to much.
    Ten years down the road something will come up, a new gig or whatever, and you will wish you had kept it because it would be perfect.
    Ive had to sell many Basses that I loved due to Finacial reasons...In the end Years down the road it Hurt!

Keep it, love it Cherish it....The fretless will come your way when the time is right.

4. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Sinny, Oztraya
    I agree.
    Keeping it is option 1. Option 2 is selling it to me.

I sold my Distillate a long time ago when I was desperate for money. Took me about 18 years to get another Alembic. If you don't have a really pressing need to sell it, why?

5. dcr

dcr Supporting Member

NO!

If you have to ask or even have to think about it, then don't do it. Sooner or later (probably sooner), you'll regret it.

I know exactly what you're talking about. Every year or so, I start gassing for something, and toss around the idea of selling my '69 P-Bass. It was my first "real" bass and my first Fender. I've had it for over 20 years, but haven't played it much since I started playing 5-strings in the early 90's. Fortunately, every time so far I've decided to keep it. I've pretty much given up on selling it because I know it'll pain me so in the long run.

Keep that Alembic. At the end of the day, you'll be glad you did.

6. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    Keep it!

One of my biggest regrets is getting rid of my Alembic Series I bass about 20 years ago.

7. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I would keep it man. I currently have a bass that is absolutely useless to me but I've decided to never sell/part with it due to sentimental reasons.

It's a right-handed yamaha that my dad bought for me. Although I've since swapped to playing lefty (just feels better) I have that bass to thank for getting me started....even if I was playing it upside down, lol.

Keep your bass, if you sell it you'll wake up everyday regretting it!

-J

8. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Hum...............Thanks for all the input! I guess I'll keep it! I know I still kick myself in the ass for getting rid of a bass I had many years ago.....a pre-Ernie Ball MusicMan Sting Ray! I was young then, what did I know! :meh:

9. adouglas

adouglas

Jun 23, 2003
    Bridgeport, CT
    You must go with your heart, of course. If you really do have a good reason to keep it, keep it.

But never forget that it's just STUFF. You can always get more STUFF.

What's important in life is experiences, memories, relationships...not STUFF.

Overattachment to STUFF is keeping the holdouts from leaving New Orleans, putting their very lives at risk in a toxic stew of chemicals, feces and corpses. What STUFF could possibly be worth that?

A year or two ago I had to go through a deceased relative's house to try to dispose of the contents. Huge mountains of STUFF that might have meant something at some point, but...it had all been sitting in closets, attics and basements for years, unused and unremembered. Just CLUTTER.

I went home and looked at my garage, at all the STUFF that I've accumulated over the 20-odd years I've lived in my house. Most of it was STUFF I had not thought about in years and would probably never use again. I made a rule for myself. If I own something and don't use it for a year, it goes. It's just an object.

I just bought a new bass (a Bongo) and while I love my hot-rodded Carvin dearly, I know very well that I'm not going to be using it. So it goes. No looking back, no regrets...I had a great time with it and that's what matters. If I start GASing for what it can do, I'll go get another one. Very, very few objects in this world are literally irreplaceable.

10. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    Hum....Interesting view

11. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    I tend to agree. I used to think differently about such things, but possessions can be a hang up. If you wont use it, sell it to someone who will. If you can't sell it, give it to someone who can use it. If you can't give it away, maybe throwing it away holds merit.

I am in NO WAY telling you to give away or throw away your alembic. I'm sure you can sell it, if that is the route you take. I just think that too much emphasis today is placed on What You Have, rather than Who You Are (and no, they are NOT the same thing.).

12. It sounds like you love that bass alot, if it is your last 5er you may as well hold onto it, I am sure at some point in the future you will at least want a 5er to muck around on.
    I still regret selling my first bass, a beat up Squier, I would feel awful if I sold an alembic.

13. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It's tough to tell exactly where someone's mind and heart are at just by reading a post so without assuming too much:

It sounds like you just WANT another Jazz bass as apposed to really needing one. Now we all need to agree that when the WANT get's powerfull enough it turns into NEED. You have more Jazz's, you only have one Alembic. Hold your GAS my friend.
    Ask yourself if you really NEED another Jazz from a professional standpoint, how much will it improve and richen your pallet as a bassist? Make sure you really need it before parting with your old friend.

14. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    I agree with adouglas and jja412, and I recently confronted this exact issue with my first instrument, a 1980/1 Ibanez Studio twin humbucker, set neck guitar I got for my 14th birthday in 1981. It's beautifully made, but its mellow sound has lost any appeal it originally had, and I've never been crazy about its playability.

When I started playing actively a few years ago (mostly bass obviously, but some guitar for writing and recording), I began to think about selling it, but feared I'd miss it for sentimental reasons (first guitar, gift from parents, all those early gig memories, etc.). I even thought selling it might generate some "negative gear karma" -- whatever that might be -- and nobody wants that! I struggled with this issue even more after I bought my first Strat about a year ago, which eliminated any possiblity I'd play the Ibanez, except maybe as a backup if I ever played guitar on stage.

But I consulted a close friend and bandmate, who thought negative karma could be avoided by doing what we all do when we sell gear -- use the money to buy more gear. This is a variation on the perfectly valid "just replaceable stuff" point. I also realized that if I don't enjoy playing it, there's simply no reason to keep it, especially when someone else might love it. (Many others have been very impressed with it over the years, or is that decades? ;) )

I bit the bullet. It's now on consignment, and I have no regrets, especially because I scratched the humbucker itch with a killer hardtail Double Fat Strat!

So if you don't and won't play the Alembic, and the proceeds could be used for something that would be more valuable to you, just sell it. I've rarely missed anything I've sold, no matter how much "sentimental" value it seemed to have at the time.

15. zombywoof5050

zombywoof5050

Dec 20, 2001
    That's very true. But when I bought my Series I back in '81-82 it cost me $2,100 brand new. Do you know how much a new one costs today? At that price, I'll likely never have another. But, it is just STUFF.

16. mike sancho

mike sancho SANCH

Feb 10, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I've sold several basses that were hard to part with. The deciding factor for me was and always will be am I playing the instrument. I sold a Zon custom last year to cure a GAS attack and I still have days when I want that bass back. It honestly was the only one I missed because I was playing it regularly. I used the cash for a Metro which is my main bass now and I haven't put the bass down for a year.

17. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    It sounds like you thought things through and I sincerely hope that you never regret your decision. Unfortunately, in my experience, the "REGRET" can come later, sometimes many years later. Sometimes instruments and the sounds they produce can fall in and out of popularity and in five or ten years the demand and rarity of certain instruments can make them simply unaffordable. Late vintage strats and Jazzes are plentifull and easily found, a 1981 Ibanez studio, and even many Alembics to a certain point are not as easily replaced.

18. alembicfive

alembicfive

Jan 17, 2003
    USA
    I think I am at a point where human emotions are over riding logic (ya, I'm a Trekkie).

I can think of more reasons to part with it then I can to keep it:
    - It is a heavy sucker! (Ya, I'm getting old too!)
    - The string spacing is very close by todays standards for
    5-strings (The 5-string spacing on my Carvins were much
    better).
    - The "B" string is a bit on the floppy side, I should have had it
    built a longer scale (back in 1990....who knew!)
    - I wish it had a pickup blend control rather then a selector
    control
    - I slap much better on a 4 then a 5
    - I hardly use it

BUT
    - It lights up! (Those LED's still wow me) :eek:
    - The wood working is incredible.
    - My first (and only) Alembic!

Geez this is a hard decision! (Hum, what would Mr. Spock do?)

19. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
    Then how about passing over some of that STUFF in your wallet so that I can replace at least one of the basses that were taken from me without my permission? After all, it's just STUFF taking up space in your back pocket!:p From a bleeding heart point of view, you can always save up for a Jaco bass, but if you have sentimental connection to that Alembic, don't sell it because you'll definitely regret it. Why not sell some of the other basses with less sentimental value to get the Jazz you want? I lost my Spectors to a sticky fingered jackass and have never been able to replace them. Sure they were just STUFF lying around, but it's also really easy to call it STUFF when you have STUFF. You don't know what you've got(STUFF) till it's(STUFF) gone.

STUFF

20. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    Another reason never to grow too attached to your stuff..it can be taken from you as easily as you can give it freely. :(