Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Partridge Family Bass???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lobster_boy, Sep 20, 2001.

1. What kind of bass did the red headed guy from the partridge family play?, this is a question thats been buggin me for a quite a while. I thought it was a fender-P but my friend says it was a hollow-body so im pretty confused. Do any of you guys know?

2. I'm not a real trivia nut and wouldn't bet on it , but I seem to remember a 70's fender jazz with the block inlayed finger board

3. I think it was a blue Starfire/Rivoli looking thing.

4. masaru

masaru

Aug 8, 2001
    Okinawa, Japan
    He actually "played" a few different basses, including a P-Bass, a Jazz, a hollow body f hole of some sort and an Ovation toward the end of the series

5. If I remember right, it was definately a big red Gibson Rivoli (ES-335 shaped thing). I remember because it looked huge on the kid, and he always had it strapped on kind of high. :p

Peace,
    -Nate

6. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Okaaay.... Well, it looks like Danny really liked his short scale basses (good thing too, cus I forgot how small he really looked). Looks to me like he has a Fender Mustang bass in several pictures. However that red bass (which I thought was like a Gibson Rivoli) is now a BIG mystery to me. You are right masaru, he does appear to be playing a kind of Ovation. However, it kinda looks like an Ovation neck on a Gibson or more likely (with the dual pickups) a Guild Starfire body. I didn't think Ovation ever made a bass like that. If they did I am sure it very rare. Anyway, I would love to find out what the story is on that thing.

Peace,
    -Nate

8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Nah, that Ovation bass is real. It's a Typhoon.

It was made for them in Italy (there was also a guitar version, see David Cassisy with on in that pic with him at the mike). They were named after storms: the bass was the Typhoon (available fretless!!) and the guitars the Thunderhead, Eclipse and Tornado.

Ovation has a 1972 catalog at their web site that shows the Typhoon:

http://www.kamanmusic.com/OvationNow/HTML_Resources/ovation_brochure_retro/1972_typhoon_iv2.htm

http://www.kamanmusic.com/OvationNow/HTML_Resources/ovation_brochure_retro/1972_typhoonv_2.htm

Ovation provided a buch of gear for the show, in different episodes you can see David Cassidy with Ovation flat-tops and a Breadwinner guitar (http://www.kamanmusic.com/OvationNo...re_retro/ovation_solid_bodies_breadwinner.htm) , also those weird Ovation "Dude" model amps with the padded covering.

9. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Wow! That Danny Partridge kid is realllllly talented! Who knew he could play BOTH righty & lefty.... and Jack Cassidy's doing the lefty thing too! Hmmmmm... coincidence? (Then again, it could be that the first picture's been flipped) Think about it....

Now there's an interesting poll... Does yours hang to the left or to the right (or both like Danny's)?

10. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Hey, wait a minute.... That's NOT Jack Cassidy... IT'S AN IMPOSTER!

11. Bernie

Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    I seem to recall seeing him with a white hollow body also.Gretch maybe?Maybe.... hallucinating?LSD-C'mon get happy!!!

12. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Nope, that's my great uncle, Ray Bolger.

13. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    C'mon, was he really that "great" of an uncle?

14. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    B'hahaha
    Never got to meet him.

15. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    Gruffpuppy, you got any Laurie Partridge close-ups? Just wanted to see whether that's a Vox keyboard she's playing.

16. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Sure you do, Max... sure you do.

And I read Newsweek for the "articles".

;)

17. Max

Max Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2000
    Bakersfield, CA
    I just remember the episode when the skunk gets on the tour bus and the producers of that show tortured us sixth grade boys by parading her around in that bathrobe. And then their velveteen pantsuits with the shirt collars the size of boat sails were ruined and they had to raid the costume shop and they put Laurie in that drum majorette ensemble. There she was . . . playing that Vox keyboard . . . (well not really playing.)

I admit it. I was in love with Laurie Partridge. Those mischevious blue eyes. The way she insulted Keith. That overbite.

18. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I've only seen minutes of the show (that's all I could stomach!). But Bonaduce didn't look like he was "playing" it. :confused:

Max - If you're thinking of the Vox Jaguar or the Continental, they had a bigass "VOX" logo plate on the front. Plus the Vox legs were metal. At least, all I'm aware of. (Continental had a really pleasing, forceful sound through a Dual Showman).

It looks like a Farfisa to me.

19. Sorry Max this is the closest one I could find.
    [​IMG]
    And here she is playing the brown pillow.
    [​IMG]
    And one of her playing the Reiner.[​IMG]