Parts and Accessories Forum

Discussion in 'Suggestion Box' started by Nick Gann, May 25, 2003.

1. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    A lot of things, like bridges, nuts, cables, even stuff like straps, don't have a place to be asked about or discussed. They usually get shoved into misc, which isn't really what misc is for, is it? I think a Parts and Accessories forum would be a good thing to have.

Questions could be asked about "Which replacement bridge?" or "What is a good but cheap cable?" etc. They would have a place of their own instead of being mixed into the rest of the misc forum.

Things like bridges, nuts, straps, cables, plectrums, replacement parts like tuners, knobs, even replacement necks could be discussed without being thrown into basses or misc.
  2. thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings

Good idea, but wouldn't a lot of that fit in under Setup?
  3. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD

When I think about setup, I think about "How do I adjust the truss rod?" or "How do I fix (insert thing here)?"

I am talking more about "Which 5 string bridge would be good for my bass?" or "Which would be better for me, a Warmoth neck or an All-parts neck?", stuff like that. Not really involving an actual setup problem, but discussing/asking about a certain part or thing.

I am sure that discussions about plectrums or straps wouldn't be very accepted in Setup ;) They'd be the type of thing to go in a P&A forum.

*You know I don't mean butt :smug:
  4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Maybe setup could have a sub forum...devoted to parts and accessories.
  5. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    That's a good idea, but I think that they deserve their own forum. Many things that would go in there don't have anything to do with setup. Also, some stuff that does have a lot to do with setup gets their own forum; pickups. "How do I raise/lower my pickups??" sounds like a setup adjustment to me, but it goes in the pickup forum. It would be the same way for this, where there might be a few setup related questions, but the vast majority would be unrelated to setup.
  6. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    It can very well be. That's why it's called Miscellaneous.

The idea for a parts forum is interesting, but it's not like there's so much to talk about. If you want to compare, say Sperzel vs. Schaller tuners, you can use "setup" Ditto for bridges and nuts. Electronics can be addressed in "pickups"

What's left? Knobs, straps and straplocks. Do we really need a forum for that?
  7. Nick Gann

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm, I would think (personally) that the only time bridges and nuts would go in Setup is if you had a question about how to set them up... I was thinking along the lines of "Which aftermarket bridge matches my ______ bass?" or stuff like that for a P&A forum.

And I always thought of miscellaneous as music related things, such as "I went to this concert" or stuff like that.

I guess your points make more sense, less work for anyone else.

Meh, it was just an idea :meh:
  8. I second (or whatever number we're on) the nomination for an accessories forum. I've had several questions that would have gone into an accessories forum.

What harm could it do?
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    This is almost 3 years old. :D
  10. my bad.

At least I searched!

It's still a good idea.