Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Parts bass question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rdhbass, Jan 3, 2005.

1. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    I'm building a 5 string bass from premade neck, body, etc. On my body i have a bridge with 2 5/8 string spacing. I saw a 5 string neck that I may buy with 2 13/16" heel. Will my neck heel be too wide for my bridge spacing? Or is this fine?

2. paintandsk8

paintandsk8 Pushin' my soul through the wire...

May 12, 2003
    West Lafayette, IN
    I would suggest making a scale drawing and checking it out. I always draw things out to make sure my measurements are right. for reference, the the heel on my jazz bass is 1/16 wider than the bridge spacing, yours would be 3/16 wider.

There are lots of other factors to consider though. the biggest being the distance from the heel to the bridge, the scale length, and the nut width.

When in doubt, draw it. (don't forget that the strings are alot wider than a pencil line though :) )

3. rdhbass

rdhbass

Jun 28, 2003
    Springfield, mo
    Thanks. I am thinking heel will be too wide. By the way, I'm looking for a 5 string replacement neck, 2 11/16 or a bit wider. Thanks.