Parts Build. Am I stupid?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by King V, Apr 23, 2024.

1. King V

King V Making RJC1811 ham sandwiches since 2024 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2005
    Maple Valley, WA
    Thinking I want to throw together a basic parts build 4 stringer.
    No big deal...except I want to build a double reverse P bass. Kind of like this guy here:

RKM 23.018 - DOUBLE PRECISION BASS IV

Obviously I'm not looking to spend $4k at the moment, so I'm thinking I can handle this one myself. I am familiar with swapping out pickups and preamps and doing setup work on my own, so hopefully I can handle this.

Is Warmoth still the go-to for what I will need for this, or does anyone have any other suggestions? I would prefer to have the body show up already routed for my needs, but I'm willing to give some woodworking a shot.

2. You aren't stupid at all. Sounds like a great project.

A word of warning - p bass pickups are (in my humble opinion) the hardest of all pickups to route a clean cavity for. There isn't a router bit in the world that is small enough to get to into the corners, and aligning the two halves is a fussy job. The route need to be finished with a chisel, and my previous precision jobs (both double P's in fact) were just ok.

I just bought a double template set that uses a drill on the first template to get the corners tight and clean, then the second template routes out the cavity. I haven't used it yet, so can't comment on whether it's any good.

Which ever way you go, start a thread and post pics.

3. King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Maple Valley, WA
    Thanks for the input! I was watching some routing for P pickups on youtube, and it does look like a bit of a pain.

I emailed Warmoth to see if I could order a J Bass Body and have them route for a dual reverse P setup, but haven't heard back as of yet. I may just give them a quick call and see if I can get an answer over the phone. It sure would make this whole thing a lot easier.

4. I build most bodies for myself anymore but as far as I know and have read on here Warmoth still has quality products. They can be a bit more expensive than some of the other sources but I’m not sure if anyone else will customize things like pickup routes. It sounds like a fun project. Whats your plans for finishing? Keep up posted.

Reedt2000 and King V like this.
  5. tidbits

tidbits Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I've inquired about this kind of thing exactly - they can do it - but it comes out to something $90 - 140 depending on if you're moving positions off standard.

You'll likely need to figure out measurements for placement but they wouldn't share what theirs were.

King V likes this.
  6. King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Maple Valley, WA
    Just got off the phone with Warmoth. They'll do the dual reverse P routing for a $65 upcharge, and noted that they can only do that with a rear routing for the electronics cavity. No big deal on that, as far as I know.

Sounds like I'm off and running. Just need to figure out what positions I need to request to get it close to the RKM I linked in the top post.

7. King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Maple Valley, WA
    I'm not yet decided on the finish, but it will probably end up being an oil finish. Since this is my first go at this, I'm probably going to keep things as simple as I can. Famous last words, I know.

Any suggestions for a pickup / preamp for this? The easier the better...a solderless system would be great but I do not know if such a thing exists.

8. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    SW VT
    Seems like there's a pretty good picture in that post for "import to editor, scale to your desired scale-length, (nut-12th half that as it removes the bridge compensation from the variables) and measure where they land.

If you're excessively computer-phobic, (or perhaps software-phobic) have some place print it out at the correct size, verify that the size is correct, and slap a ruler/yardstick/meterstick on it.

King V likes this.
  9. Gilmourisgod

Gilmourisgod

Jun 23, 2014
    Cape Cod MA
    IME, quality of parts, in descending order= Warmoth, Mighty Mite, Allparts, No Name Chinese. Suck it it up and buy Warmoth, superb quality and lots of options on neck materials, profile, etc. The body is a place you can save some money on, effect on audible tone nearly zero. As long as the neck pocket is a decent fit, it’s all good. Fender drop in parts available from literally thousands of vendors, a Treasure Hunt. Sounds fun! Unless you have some painting skills, buy a prefinished body.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
  10. wintremute

wintremute mediocrity at its finest

Oct 16, 2014
    Vegas
    Endorsing Artist: Langstrom Carrot Farms
    You should do one set of pickups as EMG Geezers, and the other set as Seymour Duncan Quarter Pounders.

13bass, RustfeatherBass and King V like this.
  11. King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Maple Valley, WA
    Roger that. I'm on it now. Thanks!

12. King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Maple Valley, WA
    Definitely going Warmoth. They are not too far from where I live as well, so thats a plus. The fewer issues I run into on this the better.

Gilmourisgod likes this.
  13. Derek Kay

Derek Kay

Dec 30, 2023
    Great, thinking outside the typical heavy Pbass or the scooped Jbass models IMO. We stand on the shoulders of the greats but progress is welcome.

The placement of the PUs changes the sound substantially - Lee Sklaar's Frankenfender uses the Jbass positioning I think.

While you're flying freestyle consider stereo (dual out) so you can EQ each PU individually, neck for fundamental, bridge for tone or FX etc. Include a mono option.

There's coil taps, and customised pots if you're passive.
    I did this with my reverse PJ parts bass, and was hired for my hifi sound. I added a D-tuner and covered a lot of territory.

I hope you end up with more than just the classic range of
    sound.

modified pickup placement.jpg

Kubicki Fan and MARVIN MECKLER like this.
  14. MARVIN MECKLER

MARVIN MECKLER Suspended

Apr 14, 2024
    See if they'll still route for a Hipshot bass tremolo!
    :bassist:

King V likes this.
  15. I suggest you buy an unfinished P bass body without routing. They're cheap enough and plentiful. Get one made of either alder or ash to be authentically close to a Fender. If you want to rout it yourself, just get a standard P pickguard, flip it upside down so that the coils are reversed top to bottom (yet are spaced properly) and trace the outline on the body. I highly recommend the Mighty Mite ebonal neck if you want to go fretless. The most common of these is an "A" neck nut width (1.5") like a typical Jazz Bass. They go for about $125 online. Hope this helps.

The second part of the question will remain unanswered due to a shortage of available data to determine whether or not you're actually stoopit. :roflmao:

King V likes this.
  16. 2112

2112 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2005
    Love my double-reverse P... it definitely brings the thunder!

PXL_20221009_023702715.jpg

17. King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Maple Valley, WA
    Very nice! Hoping mine comes out half this good.

2112 likes this.
  18. King V

Dec 13, 2005
    Maple Valley, WA
    You guys are making it very hard to keep this build simple.

2112 likes this.
  19. Gervais Cote

Gervais Cote Supporting Member

Oct 30, 2023
    Looks like a nice project………

I just ordered a p bass body with standard jazz bass routings from Warmoth to build a jazz with a better ergonomic so welcome aboard !

For the finish, on another project I used a white Saman water based tint, let it dry for a week and then applied 5 layers of Tru Oil with a rag. Very easy to do, no real risk of failure and that gives you that "oil finish" that is half transparent. I didn’t touch the last layer of Tru Oil as I wanted a satin finish which I got. I rubbed with a 0000 steel wool between layers.

Below are pictures of the body alone and assembled on the bass. Of course, white is pretty much the worst color to work with in terms of "covering" the wood compared let’s say to a red or a brownish tint. I’m quite satisfied with the results nonetheless.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

herndonbassist, lark_z, dune and 7 others like this.
  20. MARVIN MECKLER

MARVIN MECKLER Suspended

Apr 14, 2024
    [​IMG]

That's not a Warmoth body, is it?

Last edited: Apr 23, 2024
    2112 likes this.