Parts for Kustom Groovebass 1200 / modern light amps

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by stevegrif, Jan 24, 2021.

1. stevegrif

stevegrif

Dec 27, 2006
    Oregon USA
    My Groovebass has a broken wafer on the main volume control. Does anyone know where I can find a replacement? I got lucky in that my local Guitar Center had a used GrooveBass in stock - $299 with 1 year warranty and in great condition. So now I have another one that will become a project.

While I was there, as I am planning on getting a new rig, I tried the Groove bass against a Little Marc III into a 104HF cabinet. I was surprised - the GrooveBass was blowing the Mark Bass away, even at Guitar Center volume - I play a Status S2 5 string - especially on low b work. Is this a tradeoff for weight reduction? Do I need to look at higher power output? Is this common now or just that model - I had heard lots of good things about MB but was very surprised.

Cheers

2. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Have you tried contacting Kustom?

3. stevegrif

stevegrif

Dec 27, 2006
    Oregon USA
    Good point - thanks

agedhorse likes this.
  4. MarkA

MarkA In the doghouse. Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2008
    Re. parts, I am no help -- try contacting Kustom, as Andy says. If they are unable to help, perhaps a knowledgeable tech can help you track down a compatible part.

More generally, I've only ever encountered this head in its 3x10 combo version (which is deeper and heavier than you might imagine). It is a hammer -- I can well imagine that it made the Little Mark feel a bit insubstantial and it is more than capable of shredding the speakers in its combo. I don't know what the filtering of deep lows is like on that amp but, subjectively, it seemed to extend quite deep. I loaned the owner my fDeck HPF3 for a couple of months and he said that it cleaned things up remarkably (and made the speakers feel less congested and "on edge"). In fact, I later loaned the fDeck to another owner of the same amp, who said the same thing!

I don't suggest that an HPF is a cure for everything -- and there are tradeoffs with its use, as with most things -- but with this amp, at least in the combo version, for live performance, using one was a significant net positive. You might find it worth exploring with yours, depending on your cab and playing situation.

To bring this digression back on-track, while I think the Groovebass 1200 would out-hammer the Little Mark with or without an HPF, the very deep lows on the amp might be contributing to that feeling as well.

Good luck getting the amp fixed!

5. stevegrif

stevegrif

Dec 27, 2006
    Oregon USA
    Kustom couldn't help other than to give me the value of the pot. I managed to find one at mouser and replaced it Feeling very many now :) IMG_20210131_114226.jpg

sears and agedhorse like this.
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 13, 2021