1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parts jazz build- fun for the holidays

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Bluesman88, Jan 8, 2017.

1. Bluesman88

Bluesman88

Nov 15, 2016
    Philadelphia
    Hey everybody,

So here's the story: I wanted a new bass. Wife said I wasn't allowed to spend more money. I sold some old gear and got $200. Used the money to buy a body and a neck, put the rest on my Christmas list. Now I have a fretless Jazz that really sings.

Attached Files:

tbplayer59, Gluvhand and NigelD like this.
  2. Bluesman88

Bluesman88

Nov 15, 2016
    Philadelphia
    I used urethane because I had some luck with it on a friends fretless in the past. We'll see how well it holds up. The fretboard is ebony so that should do OK underneath with the round wounds. The neck pocket was way too big so I made some shims and glued them in. It was a really really fun project. I'm itching to build another bass but don't have any reason to. I couldn't be happier with how this thing sounds!

Last edited: Jan 9, 2017
  3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Nice bass!

4. vin97

vin97

Mar 7, 2016
    Germany
    Cool.
    Did you play the bass before coating the fingerboard?

5. Bluesman88

Bluesman88

Nov 15, 2016
    Philadelphia
    So I did not try the neck without the coating as I knew I would be using round wounds and I wanted to do some sort of coating. Now that you mention it I kind of wish I had.

The decision to go with polyurethane came down to what I thought might work and what was easily available. I did 2 very very thin coats and it's holding up OK so far but after maybe 15 hours of play time I can already see some wear from the strings. If it gets bad I may sand and do an additional coat before I try something that could be harder. I read something about people having issues with urethane being gummy or never really curing. With how thin I did the coats I haven't had that issue but I'm not sure how much protection I'm actually getting. It does sound awesome though. The extra hardness really restores some of the brightness you loos when you don't have frets. Like I said I did the same coating on a friends cheapo bass first as a test and I was very happy with the results. I'll post pictures of that thing tonight.

6. vin97

vin97

Mar 7, 2016
    Germany
    What you see as wear may just be dirt. Rub over the "string marks" with your fingers.