1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parts jazz build

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Zebra, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    I thought I'd post a thread with some images and stuff of a parts bass I've been working on in case anyone is interested. Here's what I have completed so far:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's how the body looked when I got it:

[​IMG]

I had also stained the face of the headstock to match as well.

I've got it set up pretty well at last, but I still need to do some minor tweaking. Acoustically it sounds great.
    Today I got the extra hole in the control plate drilled for the series/parallel switch.

[​IMG]

My boss did the drilling for me, which was cool. As you can see here there's barely enough room for the switch will all the components in, so the drilling had to be in precisely the right spot:

[​IMG]

I was hoping that the switch would flick perpendicular to the plate so that the input wouldn't be so much in the way. After installing it I realized that was impossible, so oh well.

I think that soldering this will prove to be a pain.

2. Is that a Mighty Mite neck? It seems to have the lustre of ebonal.

I quite like the overall colour scheme. Usually on a jazz bass it's chrome chrome chrome.

How are the controls set up?

3. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    It's an ebonal Mighty Mite neck. I must say it's a fine neck. Very thin and comfortable. The electronics are v/p/t with a series parallel switch that bypasses the pan knob in series.