1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Parts People, Parts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iriegnome, Oct 1, 2010.

1. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I bought a used junk bass and I am working on getting it back to 100%. My first plan was to replace the pickup covers. I searched and searched. Not overly expensive somewhere between $10 and $20. Well, if anyone reading this knows, I am pretty cheap. So, I searched a little more.
    I found Pickup covers for $5 SHIPPED :eek:
    Anyway, here is the link for some great prices on "generic" parts -
    http://www.universaljems.com/

2. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    Oh, by the way, if you do not see what you want (he did not show the cream P-bass covers) ask him. He shot me an answer in about 1/2 hour and they take a week for him to get!!

3. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    I value quality. And quality is not cheap.

4. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Amen to that, brother!

I have heard it said at my job (and I'm sure it applies to most all of life, not just to the IT industry):

Your options are quick, inexpensive and quality. At any given time, you may only pick any combination of two from the options list.

You can have fast service and high quality, but it'll be very expensive.

You can have inexpensive fast service, but it will be of poor quality.

You can have quality work at a reasonable price, but it will take a lot longer.

5. iriegnome

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    While I agree to an extent, sometimes, something does not have to be expensive to be quality. For example, my pickup covers that I just bought for $5 shipped. No different than the black Seymour Duncan Black covers I removed, except 1/2 the price. Also, Speaker Cables. Electrical extension cords (in many colors) are no different than regular speaker cables, except 1/4 the price! Early Hondo and Washburn basses were very inexpensive, but some were of the highest quality of any Fender or Gibson I have played. However, there is no mistaking the quality of my SWR or Modulus.

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Inactive

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    You've got a lot to learn still.

7. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    People think inexpensive means cheap, and this is not always the case, as with expensive equating to high end. Cost has become the trendy way of judging quality, but if you do your research, you can find equal or greater quality at less expense with time and research. Hipshot gold and chrome B model bridges come to mind. They still to this day have a problem with mill burn showing through their plating because the prep after milling is their weak spot. I won't use a Hipshot "B" anymore because of sending so many back. "A" models rarely have this because it's a single line mill instead of shape milling. Shawn....ummm Tim....ummm (SDB) has a great analogy^^^ and that pretty much says it all.

There is affordable quality, sometimes it just takes time and research to find it.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021