Parts & Supplies?

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by UprightCowboy, Mar 22, 2011.

1. UprightCowboy

UprightCowboy Guest

Mar 16, 2011
    OK everyone, please let me know where to look for parts. ie... Tuners etc..., and Tonewoods, I have a few, but I figure the folks here have a bigger data base.
    UprightCowboy

2. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk Guest

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Join the club, I've been researching tonewood suppliers for months. It requires networking and lots of phone calls. I still haven't found a back that doesn't fetch a ridiculous price. Most tonewoods are harvested for guitar bodies these days so finding quarter-sawn billets big enough for a bass is a real challenge..

3. UprightCowboy

UprightCowboy Guest

Mar 16, 2011
    Thanks for the reply Cody, thought everyone had went home for the year. lol
    Yes everything is made for Guitars Mandolins, or Fiddles and I guess no one wants to give up their source. Well if i find something I'll let you know.
    Are you looking for something particular?
    Let me know.
    UprightCowboy

4. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk Guest

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Truth is lately my priorities have shifted. With a newborn in the house, my shop is ridiculously behind as it is. Throw in some growing pains of our business, my bass build takes a very distant back burner.. Good luck in your search!

5. UprightCowboy

UprightCowboy Guest

Mar 16, 2011
    Well congrats on the new born, mine are all grown up and flew the coop, but I remember putting a few things on that back burner. Blessed are the children though, enjoy
    UprightCowboy

6. Matthew Tucker

Matthew Tucker Commercial User

Aug 21, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Owner: Bresque Basses, Sydney Basses and Cellos
    I have never bought from Alaska but if you're tempted, stay away from "Alaska Tonewoods" - lots of horror stories from luthiers about this supplier :-(

On the other hand, "Alaska Specialty Woods" is a different enterprise altogether and is run by a fellow called Brent Cole. My guitar luthier mates swear by him, he knows how to cut and prepare tonewood, big thumbs up! I notice there's a double bass spruce sets on his main website page.

remember you still have to dry the wood for a while before using it.

7. UprightCowboy

UprightCowboy Guest

Mar 16, 2011
    Thanks Matthew, I understand, not buying directly from Alaska just been reading up on woods and tonal properties.
    Thanks and I;ll check out the source listed.
    UprightCowboy

8. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    I got my last two sets from Tepper Tonewoods in Shady Cove, OR. Daryl Molnar (sp?) got his first set from the same source. But I am pretty sure that wiped out the supply. Unless he has made more bass sets since then, that was all he had, in terms of maple. He still had a fair supply of spruce.

International violin Co. says they have bass sets...you might give them a call.

I just had several bass-sets (maple) cut for me, but they are absolutely soaking-wet green, and would not be any good for you at the moment. Besides, I went with slab-cut, just because I could, and you evidently wanted quartersawn. (The only reason I didn't make them one-piece backs is because the guy's saw only could handle 24" wide. :) )

Good luck on it.

Chet

9. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    'Got my back set from John Tepper also- great fellow who does cut and stock double bass sets when he can get them. The day I bought this one, he had 12 (!!!!!!) sets just like this, all cut from the same round!

Contact Bruce Harvey at Orcas Island Tonewoods- he is one of the nicest guys in the business. If he does not have what you are after, he'll find another broker that has it.

j.

P1010024-1.gif

10. UprightCowboy

UprightCowboy Guest

Mar 16, 2011
    Thanks James for your post, I like that you have a different design, thinking outside the box

"One does not have to get outside their comfort zone, you just need to expand it"

11. 1st Bass

1st Bass

May 26, 2005
    Forest Grove, OR
    Ah, James! When I selected my two sets he only had five left--but I am delighted to know that I have two sets from the same tree that made your lovely bass a possibility.

12. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Chet:

I was wondering that myself, if we got into the same batch! I'll have it out your way in a few months for the Guild of American Luthier's nerdfest in July.

John is a very nice fellow and his woods are incredible. Much of what he does is supplying Paul Reed Smith and a few other large scale custom shops.

j.