1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

PAS 10's..need recone?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by eastcoasteddie, Sep 22, 2008.

1. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    I have a set of 4 PAS 10's that came out of an 8 ohm SWR Goliath II. When I got the cabinet, the speakers were making a distorted sound. They moved a lot of air and reproduced sound and did not flutter like a broken cone would. They sounded as though I was using a distortion pedal. I tried each speaker individually, and they all made the same distortion noise. I have since replaced the speakers in that cabinet and everything is fine.

I was told by another TB'er that the PAS' can be reconed, but I don't know much about how that works or if the actual voice coil is blown. How can I tell? When I push down on the cone, there is an audible friction noise, but it isn't really "scratchy" per se.

I myself don't really want to recone them, but I'm sure someone on here may want them to do so themselves. Are these speakers trash, or can they be fixed? I'd like to put them up in the classifieds but I don't want to try and sell junk.

2. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie

Mar 24, 2006
    NoVA
    anyone?

3. Thor

Thor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

The PAS drivers that came in that have a high quality cast
    frame, not a stamped frame. They are good quality drivers.

I wouldn't be surprised if someone wanted them for a reconing
    job. I'd post them for sale as is in the classifieds.

As long as you tell it the way it is, there is no issue, IMO.