1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Pass It On (Worship Bassist gets an unexpected Blessing)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thebasssponge, Oct 2, 2009.

1. some background is needed.........

its been 6 months since I was saved and became a Christian and 4 months since I started playing and joined a friend in a Worship Band - we have been playing at a Men's Bible study that we attend weekly. Last night after we got through playing, Harry (an older gentleman that attends every week) approached me as I was putting my Bass away and said "You are doing a fine job young man, I've been watching you and what you are doing w/ your fingers and you have progressed nicely" I said thanks Harry. He said " you know I used to play bass and I want you stop by my house sometime, I have a bass I want you have" I was absolutely floored and not sure what to say but OK. He forgot what kind it was and after getting his address we parted ways and headed home.

well you can now guess what was going through my mind .... what it is it ???? I tried to forget about it as much as possible today as to not get my hopes up to high and concentrate more on what God has done for me. When I arrived at his house, we chatted and then he pulled it out........

Peavey Axcelerator 5 String
    Peavey Hard Case
    New set of Ernie Ball Slinky Strings
    Peavey Minx 110 Amp

Sorry for the dust, excited to share - clean later ;)
    IMG_1536Medium.
    IMG_1544Medium.
    IMG_1540Medium.
    IMG_1542Medium.
    IMG_1535Medium.
    IMG_1543Medium.

Bass is in fantastic shape finish wise
    one string missing, needs action lowered and neck may have some slight curvature to it
    But nothing that cannot be fixed
    Amp works like a charm and sounds great

Tuners do have some plastic rings broken, not sure if this is detrimental

IMG_1541Medium.

will ask more questions later, back to the story...........

He proceeds to tell me that while he was in the service he played an upright and when he moved from base to base he always left behind his Bass and passed it on to someone who would play it and needed it. He said "All I ask is that one day when you need to get rid of some equipment when you have excess, please Pass It On as I have done for you"

I was speechless and then very thankful.

Thank You God

2. :eek: Wow talk about a gift from God! He does give great things!

3. thump_dumpster

thump_dumpster

Aug 11, 2009
    Denton, tx
    kinda makes me wanna put aside my distaste for organized religion in the name of free loot...

4. Tenma4

Tenma4

Jan 26, 2006
    St. Louis, MO
    Very cool. Similar to some of my own story. Congrats.

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Congrats, a lovely bass, that man done a great deed.:)

6. DanielleMuscato

DanielleMuscato

Jun 19, 2004
    Columbia, Missouri, USA
    Endorsing Artist, Schroeder Cabinets
    Let's give credit where credit's due... I'd say some thanks are in order to Harry on this one ;)

7. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 Groove it

I would definitely have given the guy some cash, or at least a gift card or something.

8. fretlesswonder

fretlesswonder Supporting Member

Jul 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Wow, God is so great, a pay it forward moment.

9. I do have something planned for him. ;)

10. Let's just hope he accepts it. When someone does something like that out of the goodness of their heart they don't expect something in return and may not accept it.

11. taygunov

taygunov Guest

May 8, 2008
    Congratulations man! God bless.

12. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    Sweet bass! And a great little "thinking of you" token from our kind and gracious Father!

13. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Harry is not his father, just another guy in the group.

14. BobWestbrook

BobWestbrook Mr.

Mar 13, 2006
    Philly suburb
    You may not recognize Him, but I do. :)

15. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    God is good, and Harry ain't so bad either. Nice story.

16. a wonderful blessing.

you must have played with grace and skill to have wowed a man so much. God's blessing upon you is not the bass, but the speed with which you have progressed, IMO.

the bass is Harry's gift, I feel, he never mentioned God in his little spiel, from what I could see. good job!! beautiful finish.

17. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Cool story! Nice bass.
    mmmmm...Peavey

18. You know, from an atheist(I just don't really follow a religion) who does believe in God (It's nice to have something to believe in) that's really really cool! God does funny things. Some of us get basses, others of us get to buy a hartke 4x10 cab for $50 from guitar center because it needed to be vaccuumed off. (also, GC doesn't like hartke, as they are a sam ash only brand).

19. sleepytime

sleepytime

Nov 10, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    A blessing indeed, and an encouragement.

20. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    +1.

Swop out the tuners with the appropriate ultralights or res-o-lites if it causes you problems.