1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passed one up today ... tell me I done good!

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by RustyAxe, Apr 30, 2009.

1. RustyAxe

RustyAxe

Jul 8, 2008
    Connecticut
    Some may have read my other thread, "Does it have to be so difficult?". I went to see that bass today, and passed on it. It was a Gewa, not a bad looking bass. It had a chamfered fingerboard (strike one), the fingerboard and tailpiece did not appear to be ebony, but rather "ebonized" hardwood of some sort (strike two). I slid the treble side of the bridge back down to where it should be (it was about 1" too high) and it lined up well with the soundpost. I carefully inspected the seams, especially the joint between the top/back and ribs. I noticed what appeared to be glue along the back/rib joint on the treble side ... from halfway down the upper bout, and continuing down past the C-bout. A rub with my fingers showed it to be flaking finish (looked like a nitrocellulose laquer to me). Under the flaking I saw the cause ... a separation of the back and ribs, a very fine line (a fraction of a millimeter, but there nontheless). STRIKE THREE. :rollno:

It did have decent "action", an adjustable bridge that appeared to be in good shape, a K&K piezo pickup and was in otherwise new-appearing condition. I just couldn't plunk down a grand on something that might make me remorseful a year down the road.

The search will continue! (ad infinitum?) :p Thank you all for your patient interest and advice!

2. shadygrove

shadygrove

Feb 14, 2008
    Marysville, WA
    You done good RustyAxe... way to "caveat emptor" ! :p