Passed up 300 watts for 165 watts...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, May 21, 2005.

1. I borrowed an intriguing setup yesterday. a Laney R4 300 watt head and a Yamaha 2x10 cab. I intended to buy it but borrowed it to gig with first.

Good thing I did. I discovered that I don't like 10 inch speakers. Too defined. Too punchy. Too bassy. Too raw and "modern". So I took the setup back to the shop and took the Laney R3 back home with me instead (I had borrowed and tried that two days before).

15" speakers just do it..warm and breathy. And 165 watts is enough for a stage monitor.

Any other 15" lovers out there?
  2. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I felt the same way about my Avatar 410. It cut through and sounded alright but my 15" frankenstien cab sounded much better all around and the engineer on my last recording project asked me a few times if I wanted to switch back up from the 15 to my 410. You can tell the tone differences and the warmth was lost a little bit by the 410.

My next rig will be 2 2x15 cabs so I'm a 15 kinda guy.
  3. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    A good 15 just has a certain something... It won't tear through the mix like tens, but it will fill out a smaller room and certainly a stage, better. It has a chunkier bite to it that you can't really get with anything else.
  4. Joe Beets

Joe Beets Guest

Nov 21, 2004
    MMMmmmmmmm............twelves. ;)

5. I don't want to tear through mixes. I want to ooze through the mix! That's why I disliked the tens. Raw and aggressive rather than warm , nurturing and sustaining!
  6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I prefer a nice ported 12" for Bass any day of the week...

Though I really dig a sealed 15" for guitar
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    IMO generalizations about speaker diameters are way too,...... um,....general. :p

somewhere in the FAQ thread stickied to the top of the amps forum is a thread or two about speaker diameters.

Personally i have found cabinets with every speaker diameter out there that i like, and ones i don't like.
  8. protoz

Nov 30, 2000
    I was just going by my personal experiences. I'm sure I could find a really warm 410 and I haven't had a chance to try a 12 setup.

These Sunn cabs I am getting are supposed to be very efficient and quick so i won't just be rumbling along.
  9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Lets ignore those rude 12" guys and keep talking 15's..............:p :D

I love 15's and thats all I play through. Until I try a cab that can give me that same feeling and tone, 15's all the way! I know alot of guys don't like 15's because they say they lack definition and punch. All I can say to that is they haven't tried a Trace Elliot 1524 cab.
  10. big evil robot

big evil robot

Feb 27, 2005
    Edmonton, AB, Canada
    Innovations Music - Retailer
    mesa diesel 2x15, awesome cabs.

there is a nice feel about how 15's roll off, 10's are very tight and punch, 15's are smooth and clear for me.
    I really like a mix of both, Ideally I'd like a mix of everthing 8,10,12, and 15. That would be something.

A cab for each string!!! :hyper: :hyper:
  11. dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    I can definitely see what you are saying about the 10s having too much definition, but I've also found that there times that I want the quicker response that my 15 just doesn't provide alone.

That's why a 210 cab on top of a 115 is just perfect for me. I can get some tight tones when needed, but I can still feel the bass at the same time.

I really like a set up with 2 12s, too. But again, as IvanMike points out, it depends on the cab. I would add that it also depends on what you play and what you need and/or want.

I just got a new rig, an Ashdown MAG 300w 210 combo and a Mag 115. It's not the most sophisticated setup, and while the MAG stuff is definitely respectable (IMHO), the MAG cabs certainly aren't top of the line. But they're working for me and what I want to do. Maybe someday my ear will crave something different as far as speaker set up goes, but right now, it's just the right mix.
  12. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    I like my 15, although, it is definitely the weak link in my tone. It still gets the job done and has a warm low end. I briefly had it paired with a 4x10 which emilinated all of the "clunky" sounds and filled in the upper midrange that some not-so-high-end lack.
  13. This is so true. It's like the "right" number of strings on a bass, the "right" gauge of strings, flat or round, steel or nickel etc. etc...

And IvanMike is right about generalisations - all generalisations are untrue :D

...but some are useful. I learned last night, and that is good. First time I have played with 10s at that volume. I did once have a Nemesis 2x10 combo, but shed it after the first gig as too "hifi" for me. But that was pop in small bars. And my other 10" experience is my BXR25 practice and restaurant (drumless) gig amp...a very different thing.
  14. dhclark76

Mar 26, 2005
    VERY DIFFERENT INDEED! Well, I don't want to hijack your thread by getting off subject, but since you brought it up...

My first amp was a Fender BXR25 and I can't say how glad I was when I got first gig-worthy amp (a MAG 300 C210). I was a newb when I got the BXR and I naively tried to utilize it for way more than it was intended, the result was that I eventually couldn't play the thing for more than 15 minutes before it'd start farting on me. I was never really satisfied with that amp, but it has made me appreciate my MAG so much more. (maybe too much).

This is partly may fault since I pushed the amp way too hard, but it has left a bad taste in my mouth for Fender bass amps ever since.

15. I gig with the BXR 25 rarely...drummerless acoustic gigs where I am supposed to add "ambience" rather than get listened to.

But tone wise, I love the BXR25. The only good BXR, IMO.
  16. How many of you fifteen-lovers have tried out an 18? I have one and... let's just say, when you've felt it, you'll feel like you're going through puberty again. Definitely a primal rumbling change going on in the midsection.

I also have a 410 to go with it and it's definitely the best of both worlds. I have grown to like that punchy 10 sound, but I grew up loving and playing a Peavey TKO. Nothing great, but to this day I haven't found anything that sounds better in a small room. Maybe the TNT.
  17. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    Boy, that theory would really screw over the extended range bassists! :p
  18. How about a 4, 6, 8. 10. 12. 15. 18?
  19. between a comparison, how different would a 212 cab (namely avatar) be from a 15? i like the woof of a fifteen, but lately with my distorted tone and all, i'm looking for something that could hold the lows of a 15 yet still be able to handle my playing without being too intrusive (sorta like how 10s are)
  20. MiniMic

Sep 29, 2001
    Syracuse NY
    I'm with you, Andy: 10"Speakers for Bass ??? Never !! 12"s and 15"s ONLY!!
    well one time back in '75 I did own a JBL 18" w/an Acoustic 470 Head :)

I just started using a brand new Genz-Benz Neo 2x12 with a SVP Pre & a Stewart World 1.2 (sweeet)