Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Passifying a bass?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tristan, Apr 2, 2001.

1. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    ok, i have a yamaha bbg4s, which is a budget bass, but i like it's sound and it's built real solid. the preamp is noisy though, so i'd like to put in passive electronics. is this difficult? how would i go about it? also, i've heard that this bass has active PICKUPS, but i really doubt it.... any info on that?

2. Well, to passify a bass cradle it in your arms and rock gently while humming Jerry was a Racecar Driver. If you are a girl, you know what to do! But if you're a guy, then either get a bottle and put some baby forumula (human formula will work) or a pacifier, and stick either one into the 1/4 jack. That bass will stop rattling (fretwise) and will be perky as hell when you are done!

3. Tristan

Tristan

Jan 28, 2001
    Ottawa, Canada
    yeah man, that was the joke.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    The Yamaha specs do claim active pickups. That means the pickup itself contains a preamp. You can't bypass that, you would need to swap out the pickups.

Bypassing an external preamp (i.e. the volume and EQ circuit of the bass) is as easy as disconnecting the pickups from where they enter the circuit and wiring them straight to the output jack. You would lose all onboard controls, though.

You can also remove the entire circuit and put in passive volume and tone circuits, but you would need to know the appropriate impedances for the potentiometers. EMG active pickups, for instance, need pots with much lower values than most passive pickups use (25Kohm vs. 500Kohm or 1Mohm). You could just try different pot values until you find ones that work well.

Goo dluck.