Passing Chords with chord inversions

Discussion in 'Music Theory [DB]' started by walters, Aug 23, 2005.

1. walters

Apr 21, 2005
    What are Passing Chords? are they Non harmonic tone chords?
    it seems they like to use inversion chords as Passing chords

The Passing Five-four-three ( V 4/3) mostly found between I chord and (I six) chord

The Passing Five-Six-four ( V 6/4) mostly found between (I six) and the I chord

The "Cadential 6/4 chord
    1.) The dissonant 4th interval
    2.) I 6/4--V--I
    3.) Fourth resolves down

The Pedal Six four chord
    1.) a non-harmonic tone in the bass
    2.) the bass note is held over and repeated to the next chord
    3.) I-IV 6/4- I

The Passing Six four chord
    1.) between a root positions chord and a first inversion chord
    2.) I-V 6/4- I 6
  2. TJC

Jun 28, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Who do you mean by 'they'?
    Is this a query or a quiz?
  3. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    Dude. Why do you do this all the time?
    What's the point.
  4. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I'm wondering if he's reading Walter Piston on his own and looking for explanations.
  5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Those questions make my brain hurt. I like to think I know a fair amount about theory, but that all looks like jibberish to me.
  6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
    Take a theory class at your local community college. You'll learn all that you want about such things.
  7. jstiel

jstiel Jim Stiel

Jun 5, 2004
    Lake Orion, MI
  8. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    As trolls go, you gotta give this cat props for putting a unique spin to the "endeavor".

I mean, it beats the usual TBEB "What's so great about Jaco?" thread.

Even the trolls are hipper at TBDB. :bag:
  9. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    walttro, why don't you just go to your local community college and take a theory class ? most of us here paid to go to college )(some several times) and we know our stuff.

we should impose a lesson charge on this cat !
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    DZ, I haven't gone to college yet, but I consider myself pretty decent when it comes to theory -- and like other posters have said, this just looks like a nonsense trolling attempt (albeit one with a bit more time put in.)
  11. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I wouldn't call it trolling per se. I think he's just not getting what he's been taught and is confusing himself needlessly.
  12. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    To ask questions and answer them is simply bizarre behavior for a message board.

Walters. Explain yourself. Why are you doing this.?
  13. Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    My impression is that he makes threads on something that he finds interesting. Like he's raising a topic and saying, "Discuss." The problem is, I don't think anyone really understands what he's talking about.
  14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I understand and I'm sure many others do too. He's taking things from a beginning classical theory book and copying them to the forum. Take a look at a Walter Piston or Robert Ottman book and you'll see exactly where he's getting the stuff.
  15. nypiano

Feb 10, 2003
    I still don't get it :rolleyes:

He sort of asks a question? What are passing chords-then answers "they seem like inversions." Then quotes the Piston's Harmony text (or whatever) So what are we supposed to do with it?

He seems to be the only poster who doesn't write:
    "In this book it said.."
    "Is this right?" "Are there other cases, etc.?"

Any number of us could answer these rather simple harmony questions. But where's the question? If there's no question there's no point to post.
  16. Bobby King

Bobby King Supporting Member

May 3, 2005
    Nashville, TN

Your examples are one type of passing chord, i.e an inversion leading to stronger root postion chord.

Chords that function as secondary dominants are also "passing" chords. For instance, (pardon me while I use arabic numerals) 1 leading to 2minor might use #1diminished as a passing chord. This is the incomplete dominnant seventh
    of 2 (6). You could use the root position of the 6seventh chord and it still could be considered "passing" because it serves to set up 2 minor. Likewise, 2 - 5 progressions serve as passing chords to a new stronger harmonic position, i.e.
    5minor - 1(dominant)seventh leads to a strong 4 chord. 7 half diminished to 3seventh leads to a strong 6minor.

This is a different way of thinking and describing harmony than traditional figured bass, more of a "jazz" approach,
    but the principles are the same. The main point is that a chord or set of chords that have a secondary dominant function also are "passing".