1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passing of Lonnie Hamer, AKA "Bass Monkey",husband of Molly Kay

Discussion in 'Bluegrass [DB]' started by Hammertime3, Jun 24, 2014.

1. Hammertime3

Hammertime3

Apr 23, 2008
    Delaware
    I have just learned of the passing of Lonnie Hamer, husband of our own Molly Kay who keeps us up on all the Epiphone bass and other news. She reports that Lonnie took his life sometime this past Saturday. No other details are available at this time.

I had the pleasure of visiting them twice when he worked on my old American Standard, and then again on my Kay. He did first rate work and we always felt welcome in their home. He will be sorely missed in the upright bass and bluegrass community. He and Molly were fixtures at many jams in and around their area, and travelled to many bluegrass festivals together in their motor home.

I'm sure Wendy (Molly Kay) would appreciate any messages of comfort during this trying time for her. This information was received via message from Dave Morris (Wineaux) from another forum. Wendy had contacted him with the sad news.

danthebassman07 likes this.
  2. I got the news this morning through a mutual friend. Such a loss...the love he lavished on those old tubs was nothing short of inspiring. Brilliant craftsman. Rest in peace, Lonnie.

3. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Suicide is always disturbing. RIP Lonnie

4. BobKay

BobKay Supporting Member

Nov 5, 2012
    Estero, Florida; USA
    Here is a link to an article with information about the work Lonnie did in conjunction with Wendy. Don't know that I've ever run into them, although I've attended a lot of festivals in PA, including Gettysburg and the now defunct Beaver Falls. Condolences to Wendy and any other family members and friends.

http://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_18064947

5. misterbadger

misterbadger Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2012
    Northern California
    So sorry. Our hearts and prayers go out to Wendy and family.

6. Oh no. Such sad news. Condolences to Wendy. Even though we're scattered across the world, I know we're ready to assist Wendy any way we can.

geoffbassist likes this.
  7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Condolences and prayers to Wendy - she's one of the good guys for sure.

8. Condolences Wendy. Take care.

9. geoffbassist

geoffbassist UK Double Bassist Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 17, 2006
    UK
    Founder - Discover Double Bass
    I've always enjoyed Wendy's posts. Very sad news. My condolences.

Max George likes this.
  10. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    Condolences Wendy

11. DC Bass

DC Bass Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    Wendy,

I'm so sorry.

Please know that you are loved and valued here, and please reach out if there is anything that we can do to help you.

Sincerely,

Joe