1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Passinwind PW8B Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Stu_Bass, Jan 1, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    I just became aware of this. There is some discussion about it's predecessor and it in another thread but I thought it deserved it's own thread. Any new experiences or thoughts on this? Looks like an awesome design!

Passinwind DIY Projects

PW8B_case2.

deathness, wave rider and Stumbo like this.
  2. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Hey Stu.

In all honesty, I'm not exactly sure how much I'm allowed to discuss about my old DIY builds now that I come under the Talkbass CUP. None of them were ever intended for sale, I was just trying to build my design chops a bit so hopefully I could eventually pimp a little design work here and there. The one in the pic did make to a friend's NAMM booth last year and stayed in constant use for all four days of the show. It's also been my main gigging amp ever since I built it. I had enough spare parts to build a sister amp, which my buddy @4Mal used occasionally. He had me tweak the treble control for a more rock oriented voicing; since he's a G-K fan I measured one of his amps and more or less cloned its treble control response curves. I think that amp is going to stay in my tight circle of trader friends, and in fact it may end up at NAMM this year. But all of those builds on my old DIY site are completely impractical for production. Too much hand wiring, and nowhere near being mainstream enough to justify the rather high costs that FCC approval would necessitate. Quite a few "boutique" builders blow that off, but that's just not my style at all. Yel_wink.

What next? Time to retrofit the latest spec preamp boards to the original rack mount build. Then I'm thinking about doing my take on the old MusicMan amp format: the PW8B solid state preamp mated to a pair of 100 watt monoblock tube amps. I also really want to do some DSP based builds soon.

Arjank, deathness, agedhorse and 4 others like this.
  3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    Careful there, buddy. There are predators about.

Coming soon.... The Bugera Windpasser WPB8 Hybrid. :rollno::wacky:

4. Stu_Bass

Stu_Bass

Nov 24, 2006
    Pennsyltucky
    Would you like me to delete this?

5. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Nah, I don't think that's necessary. I'd be perfectly happy to answer questions about any of my DIY builds, as always. I'll ping one of my Mod friends here and feel out whatever I might need to avoid saying. Even though I come under the CUP, I still don't have any hardware to sell at this time, so I don't think discussing those prototype amps is really off-limits. I may just need to rein in talking too much about what I'm up to these days.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    S-Bigbottom and Stu_Bass like this.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I can speak to the PW8 that I was curator for ... imagine playing through a high quality mic preamp with a very bass friendly feature set. The variable HPF combined with a scalpel like full parametric, augmented by the B/M/T controls is pretty sweet. Couple that with a healthy 700 into 4 power amp... kinda like a Great River meets a Manley or API EQ in a module rack coupled with a power amp - in something smaller than a shoe box. A shoe box for kids at that...

Charlie runs an Audio Kenesis cab with tweeters. I run an old 12.6 with the less efficient Eminence mid and an additional pad on the mid. That cab reaches towards the top end sound of bare 10’s, no tweeter. Many of my formative years were with either bare JBL D140’s in Sunn cabs or with an original towel bar SVT from 1974. I really need nothing above where a 10 rolls off.

Dropping the Treble Control freq into GK territory got me into the range I was looking for. It’s just a bit more Agro than I think Charlie would prefer. Probably boosts frequencies that don’t play well with a tweeter.

Charlie also built in a Jensen DI which I recall was setup as Post EQ. The noise floor is virtually non-existent. The PW-8, or the PW-7 I played with previously would make marvelous recording front end.

If I had to pick one defining characteristic of PW-8 it would be the noise floor. I’d look at it in my project space every once in a while wondering, is it still on ? Crazy quiet.

S-Bigbottom, Linnin and Stu_Bass like this.
  7. Passinwind

Dec 3, 2003
    Bear in mind that all my amps were optimized pretty heavily for fretless bass and/or EUB. To me at least, a really good tweeter and some sort of "air band" in the EQ is mission critical for fretless applications. But with the fretted 5-string bass I picked up in March my current wants and needs have definitely been evolving. In any case, it's always really useful to put my DIY stuff in others' hands a get a reality check every once in a while. I learned so much at NAMM last year.

S-Bigbottom likes this.
  8. Dirk Diggler

Dirk Diggler Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Anytown USA
    Hello,
    I think the term "crazy quiet" also applies to the onboard pre's too. ;)
    Dirk

9. I heard that the amp farts a lot! Or maybe that’s the builder! LOL

Sorry Charlie I just couldn’t resist! :D

Bill Whitehurst and agedhorse like this.