Passione Red Mitchel Fifths Tuning Set now available?

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by etorgerson, Jun 21, 2018.

1. I just saw a listing for passione in a red mitchel set. Has anyone tried them yet?!- signed a very excited fifths player who is having a hard time giving up his Obligato da and spw gc set but needs more punch, articulation, and volume in orchestra.

2. There’s nothing about these strings on Pirastro’s website.

3. Chris Quinn has them listed on his store’s site. I contacted him just to make sure it wasn’t a typo.

4. elmer

elmer

Oct 1, 2004
    Finland
    I don´t know about these fifths tuning Passiones, but I´ve had the orchestra tuning set which was a bit weak. I´m not sure whether those Passiones can offer you more punch and volume. Only the stark Passiones succeeded in that in the orchestra playing. Starks are great arco strings.

5. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Red Mitchell set?
    That would be very odd since he died long before Passione came out and they are very different from anything he ever used.
    Also, what you have is IMO both louder and punchier. Passione is just classier and a much better section sound.

6. Thanks for the feedback. After looking around, I think I’m going to try Flexocore Deluxe solo a and orch d over spw or spm c&g fifths on Paul and Mike’s recommendations.

7. The Red Mitchell name is a common way to describe a fifths tuning set.

8. Obligatos are available in fifths tuning, by the way.

9. Francois or anyone else, have you tried the steel core obligato c IV and g III fifths strings?

10. Reiska

Reiska

Jan 27, 2014
    Helsinki, Finland
    If my memory serves the steel core low C was very quiet and dull.

11. jheise

jheise

Aug 11, 2004
    Hamburg, Germany
    I like the Obligato G III on my bass. The C got replaced immediately by a Spiro C. I second the dullness of the Obligato C.