1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Passive 2 Active????

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RealBK, Jan 16, 2003.

1. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    Hi, I'm thinking of buying a Lakland Daryl Jones bass (Passive) and a Fender Geddy Lee bass (Passive) this year and i'm just wondering if i should drop in a J-Retro to both the basses, or go for the Outboard Preamp option I.e. Sadowsky. I have never used Outboard Preamps Like the one Sadowsky makes, so the question is are they as good as a J-Retro (Which i know is good) I don't mind paying the money for 2 J-Retro's, but would i benifit (cost wise yes) by getting A Sadowsky Preamp. I'm really looking for a Killer slap tone and i mean KILLER SLAP Tone!!! (J-retro is good for this) Can anyone list Outboard Bass preamps? and tell me the best one out there? Or just go for the J-retro.

Many thanks

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    You could get the outboard version of a J-Retro, and use it with both basses.

3. RealBK

RealBK

Feb 8, 2002
    But is the Sadowsky better? a list of outboard preamps would be nice.

4. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    They're different, try both (A-B if possible) and then decide which one fits your needs.