Passive 5'ers?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ElephantTalk, Mar 9, 2005.

1. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Has anyone had experience with a passive 5 string?
    I had always thought that the low-B needed something to boost its signal.

How would it compare to a Stingray5 that has the 3-band eq?
    The bass I'm looking at has two single coils, one in neck position, the other in bridge.

I'd be playing through an Ashdown 500 EVOII.

2. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    It all depends on the quality of the pickups. Some 5 strings have great passive output, others can be weak and flimsy. You don't really need the preamp to get a good tone, only good pickups, but an eq can help by boosting lows at times. I've never really liked the low B on a stingray, but that's personal preferance. Your best bet is just to try the bass out.
  3. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    My Dingwall is passive with an awesome B. But like 5StringDNA says above, can depend on a few things. My pickups are REALLY hot. Most people think its active from hearing it, so that might have a lot to do with it.
  4. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    Sounds good.
    I'll try to get my hands on it to test it out.
  5. I'll second what Juneau says.
    The Dingwall FD pickups are hot. They're passive and everyone that hears them thinks their active. The Afterburner basses from Dingwall got one of the best sounding B strings (the 37" scale helps)
  6. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    My USA passive Jazz V sounds fantastic. So did my Dean Edge 5 fretless. Both had and have great B strings.
  7. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I love my Fender RB5 (both of 'em). My passive Lull P5 also had a great B-string.
  8. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    My new Linc Luthier Impression has got a killer low B. Probably because of the bracing and the Villex pickups. I have RMC piezos, and the only active thing is a buffer preamp, not an EQ like on most active basses. There is a mid control (ala Villex), but that's about it.....
  9. ElephantTalk

Jan 20, 2005
    I guess I'm just used to the Passive Fender sound. Which isn't all that bad, but just lacks something.

Feeling better about it though! :D
  10. Grudgingly, too, as most Fender 5's I've played with had weak B's. My MIA Jazz, though, has a fine B, & great output. I don't care all that much for the bass til I pull it out & play it. Compares very well w/a Stambaugh w/Aeros & Aggie 3-band.
  11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Try putting a set of Dimarzios in a 5-string Fender Jazz. VERY hot output and they sound fantastic, even for a passive setup.

12. Man your bass is awesome. It looks amazing.. :hyper:
    I envy you. How it sounds?
  13. My Warwick Fortress Flashback 5 is passive, and the low B sounds pretty darn good.....
  14. The peavey grind is passive, sounds good to me too.
  15. I have a MIM fender V, I have recently installed a series/parallel switch and I get a pretty good sound from the B string. No warwick but... for me it is great.

16. cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    The Lakland Darryl Jones' fivers are passive.
  17. DaveAceofBass

DaveAceofBass Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    Charlotte, NC
    It sounds amazing. It's got a resonance and an air you don't get from a solid body. The neck pickup sound's like a P-bass, and the bridge pickup sounds like a cross between a J and a soapbar pickup. The passive mid control rocks. There is only a slight level drop when the mids cranked when you have the piezos blended halfway with the mags (probably cause the mid comes before the buffer). The piezos are full and warm, not clanky. They add snap to the mags. I love it!!!!
  18. Hofbrauhaus

Feb 10, 2002
    Upton, MA
    That's funny that you say that. Your Warwick must be better than mine because the low B on my Streamer LX5 SUCKS compared to my Stingray5's
  19. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

So are the Lakland Joe Osborn 5-strings. The great thing about getting a Jazz bass or Jazz bass clone is you can get a J-retro preamp, and have your choice of active or passive available onboard. :D (of course, you will have to adjust levels on your amp).
  20. Different pickups, different body, probably different neck woods...the Flashbacks used "lipstick tube" MEC's instead of the regular soapbars.

Oh yeah, the 2-Tek bridge helps too....